Author Topic: Does Duggie need a tidy up?! Updated - The fringe is no more!  (Read 5583 times)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
Does Duggie need a tidy up?! Updated - The fringe is no more!
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
I don't think I've ever posted a grooming question before! :005:

Duggie's coat is becoming ridiculous, he has a huge fringe like one of The Beatles, and the fluff on his legs is about 6" long! ph34r I actually love it, but people are commenting on him all the time now. ;) I was hoping to be able to handstrip him, or at least start it off and see how it goes, but I think I'll have to do something else with him just now.

I have a Coat King and tried it on him recently, just for a few minutes, and got nearly another puppy from him! Should I keep using it? And what else should I do? (Or pay someone else to do!) I have never tried any grooming before.

Grooming him might also keep my carpets clean! :lol2:

Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Re: Does Duggie need a tidy up?!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »
Awww he is soooo cute  :luv:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »
Dude that is one cool fringe  :luv:  :005:

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
OH MY GOD!!!!! The fringe!!!!! One of my clients cockers was just like Duggie at that age and she loved the hair too but soon realise it was totally unmanageable and he now gets clipped a little. Other than coat kinging him you might want to using thinning scissors on the fringe, depends if you do intend to hand strip him in future.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »
lol fiona - your stairs look like mine!
i trim henry's wig into a little soft topnot type thing - he mohecan is his trade mark! I do it myself with thinning scissors. Amazing how much hair grows there get a handful off every month!
I got a groomer to handstrip him from dougie stageand i sort of keep up with it myself. i probably dont do it right, but its not that big a bind.
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »
What are the best type of thinning scissors to get, and are they straightforward enough to use?  :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
i just got some from boots, for humans. cant go wrong with them, just snip...doesnt cut chunks out like normal scissors. i also use them to tidy up round henry's 'loin cloth' which is what i call the hair that grows to hide his plums lol, but if it gets too long it can be, erm messy  ph34r if you see what i mean!
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline mcphee

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »
Duggie, we need to see your eyes, you pickle. Thank DOG Rufus was sleek. My compost would be full of dog hair!

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:39:35 PM »
Oh bless his little cotton socks. It is so difficult to decide what is the best thing to do when they are at this age! I don't trust my abilities with a scissors (or hubby's!) so I personally will be seeking professional help! Llewelyn's coat is so thick and fluffy already he will guaranteed by channelling Duggie's look in a few months  :005:

Blodwen is in a funny, in between stage, where she needs a tidy up but she doesn't have a thick heavy coat apart from around her legs. She does have a decent mop-top (not in Duggie's league!) which tends to go into a side parting where she looks like one of the Backstreet Boys!!  :lol: We will wait for her girly activity to end and then head for the hairdressers I think (or probably the breeder for a tutorial in cocker hair design).

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
I know nothing about grooming, but I just have to say, Duggie your fringe is amazing!  :005: :luv:

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 08:57:19 PM »
Oh my word that is one absolutely gorgeous fringe and coat  :luv: :luv:

I dont think I could bring myself to have him clippped, thinning scissors now and wait a while then handstrip him, once you start its very therapeutic  :D

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »
Oh my word that is one absolutely gorgeous fringe and coat  :luv: :luv:

I dont think I could bring myself to have him clippped, thinning scissors now and wait a while then handstrip him, once you start its very therapeutic  :D
Totally agree, he will have a stunning coat when all the fluff comes out (not that he isn't gorgeous now of course :luv:). I do love them when they look all fluffy like that and when Belle had her first proper groom it was a shock and I wasn't totally sure about it, but she now actually looks like a Cocker not an Afgan hound :005: :005: Good luck with the thinning scissors, the grooming board stickies are very useful too ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »
Good luck with the thinning scissors, the grooming board stickies are very useful too ;)
Thanks, I'm just ordering a pair now. :D

I've had a look at the stickies, but I may be back! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline mcphee

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
Good luck with the thinning scissors, the grooming board stickies are very useful too ;)
Thanks, I'm just ordering a pair now. :D

I've had a look at the stickies, but I may be back! :005:
Oh Fiona, I would love to watch Duggie's first hair do! How can you improve on perfection!

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
 :luv: He does need 'sorting' Fiona.  :luv: The DVD on the grooming board is a fab start, defo recommend for starting off.  :D