Author Topic: Does Duggie need a tidy up?! Updated - The fringe is no more!  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
Re: Does Duggie need a tidy up?!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »
You could try a dog comb with a thick elastic band weaved through it for on his head to speed up the stripping. It may come out on his head really easily it looks like it might be ready to come out :D
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
:luv: He does need 'sorting' Fiona.  :luv:
:005: Just as well I don't take offence! :lol2:

Pity you weren't closer to "sort" him out for me! ;)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 07:05:03 AM »
:luv: He does need 'sorting' Fiona.  :luv:
:005: Just as well I don't take offence! :lol2:

Pity you weren't closer to "sort" him out for me! ;)

I wouldnt have said that to anyone else   :lol2: Like Sarah said, get the spratts comb, put elastic band on it and give it a whirl. I would never in a million years of believed I could do it. Aww yes if you were closer I would show you, but as it is by the time you would travel home he would be a woolly mammoth again  :005: Give it a whirl Fiona, its really satisfying seeing the end result.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »
Aww yes if you were closer I would show you, but as it is by the time you would travel home he would be a woolly mammoth again  :005:
I tried the Coat King on him again last night, and half filled the bin - but this morning he looked exactly the same again! ph34r :005:

I ordered some Rosaline scissors - I'll have to miss out the zero when OH asks the price... :lol2:  I'll also get a comb and try the elastic band trick, but getting Duggie to actually stay still is a real trick, he constantly rolls on his back, gnashes the Coat King, and runs around the room wanting a carry on. ::)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »
Wow that is some top knot, Brodie is very impressed :luv: :luv:. Will you be keeping it, Fiona? I couldn't imagine Brodie without her top knot :luv: (actually she'd look exactly like her topknot-less sister Bria but that's not the point :005:)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 05:07:18 PM »
Wow that is some top knot, Brodie is very impressed :luv: :luv:. Will you be keeping it, Fiona?
I'm hoping to keep some of it, but not quite as much of it as he has at the moment! :005: I've decided not to handstrip, as his face was an absolute picture when I did a bit of his head - a bit like this  :o I was reading that it is very difficult to do solid blacks, and it seemed to be quite uncomfortable for him. So sticking with the Coat king and thinning scissors. :D

I'm looking for help again - I've tried the trick of standing Duggie on a table so he can't run around, but it doesn't stop him trying to jump off, and gnashing at the Coat King and scissors, he just won't stay still, so he's only about a quarter done. :-\ I don't really want to go to the expense of buying a grooming table just yet! :005:

So, any tips on how to groom a Gnasher? ;)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline Carol09

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »
Dude that is one cool fringe  :luv:  :005:

:005:  Sorry but you have to laugh!.  Unfotunately for Jay we bought some clippers and he really does have a short back and sides and legs and tail and anything else :luv:  Bless him!

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Does Duggie need a tidy up?! Updated - How do I groom a Gnasher?!
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »
Fiona, have you tried standing him on the ironning board?
(Put a towel over it first thou, saves having to 'groom' the board afterwards?)

Love the top knot / toupee look thou  :luv:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
I was going to try the ironing board, but I'm sure he'd jump off it, as he jumped/fell off the table last night (I caught him just in time).

It is like a toupee, isn't it? I was a bit insulted when someone outside said "Look at that dog, it's got a wig on". :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 05:19:43 PM »
Ruby is sporting the same look, she's off to the groomers on Monday, £25 well spent considering what I'd do to her if I had a go!!  :005:

Will Dougie sit still if you give him a spare brush / kong to gnash??
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 05:25:43 PM »
Aww Fiona, only just caught up with this and I'm sorry but I'm just in fits of laughter here....it's the way you tell them  :lol2:
Sorry, no advice whatsover ..... apart from clicker training him to stay still on whatever surface you're grooming him on  :dunno: Chloe wouldbe a nightmare too if I had to do any serious grooming on her, she puts up with  a kong zoom groom, but trying to get anywhere near her ears, even with a baby brush, is a challenge  :shades: :D

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
:luv: He does need 'sorting' Fiona.  :luv: The DVD on the grooming board is a fab start, defo recommend for starting off.  :D

I've sat with the DVD today and then attacked Charlie's legs with the thinning scissors - got a bucket load oh hair out and I've been gradually taking out more and more over the last couple of months - and even better, the DVD demonstrates on a black cocker  :D

BTW, Charlie doesn't stand either and is just as likely to have the comb in his month as in my hand  ::)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »
Sorry, no advice whatsover ..... apart from clicker training him to stay still on whatever surface you're grooming him on
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: This is Duggie we are talking about - he doesn't do staying still when there is anything within gnashing distance! :lol2: His mouth was following my hand everywhere I put it, he even grabbed the Coat King when I was using it on his back, he can get himself into some strange positions, it's as if he doesn't have any bones! :005:

Will Dougie sit still if you give him a spare brush / kong to gnash??
I give him his old puppy brush to gnash when I'm brushing him, so maybe, it's worth trying anyway. It's just that look on his face when I try to remove his wig. :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 11:12:03 PM »
He sounds like Indie, a total nightmare to groom so I cheat and get someone else to do it  :lol2:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 11:16:13 PM »
Me too with Smudge - I was afraid of hurting him cos he would not keep still - the monkey ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.