Author Topic: Does Duggie need a tidy up?! Updated - The fringe is no more!  (Read 5585 times)

Offline rwasinski

Re: Does Duggie need a tidy up?! Updated - How do I groom a Gnasher?!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 08:11:26 AM »
I must be honest Fiona - there is no way that we could sort Blod and Llew's coats out ourselves so we will be seeking professional help  ;)

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline jujuli

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »
Duggie is gorgeous! I  LOVE his fringe.   :luv:  Have to say that Charlie was so wriggly when I groomed him and his coat became so overwhelmingly long that I found a groomer who handstripped and coatkinged him and I know they have the equipment to keep him still.  This may sound mean but I used to jiggle the table just a bit to keep him still as it made him a bit wary but it didnt help that much after a while as he cottoned onto that one! ::)

Offline Gayle and Bailey

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Hi Fiona - sounds like a challenge

If he's not used to being groomed or sitting on a table.  I think you'll need to go slowly and get him used to the table first making it a good experience for him and when he's comfortable with that move on to a small amount of grooming and tidying up.  Dont start off with a massive grooming session as he'll prob resent it.  It may take a while but hopefully by taking it slowly he will learn to enjoy it.

My goldie is a gnasher when brushing him. I have a pocket full of treats and he gets one when he is sitting / lying nicely and no gnashing at my hands / comb.  I kinda use clicker training principles without the clicker.

My cocker, Bailey is great at being groomed but being a show boy he was used to table and grooming etc from 9 weeks.  It'll take time and patience but you'll get there in the end  :D

Gayle
Gayle, Bailey and Jura xx

Offline suemg

• Milo and Boo
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
Milo is six months now and despite daily grooming when young he is now totally against it. His mother obviously never taught him not to jump off high things cos he will make a leap for freedom regardless of danger! I tried giving him a brush to chew whilst I groom him but he is far more interested in trying to bite the thing I'm using!! I have found though that he is much calmer and compliant when in the bath. I bought a cheap rubber shower mat I stand him on and I guess because it's more enclosed he feels safer? Anyway, he gets a thorough combing when I bath him (every month so far as he is a cocker sponge!) and then do what I can the rest of the time - an ear one day, a foot the next....and we seem to be ok so far with that. It might be worth trying Duggie in the bath, even if you aren't washing him. Good luck!
Sue xx
Sue.....lucky owner of Milo and Boo

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 06:44:15 PM »
Well I made a start today! I tackled him when we came home from our walk, and he was tired. I've taken a good bit off his head, but left some, so it wouldn't be too dramatic! :005: I've also started on his ears, but I could see he was getting fed up, so we'll do another wee bit tomorrow. Tia's head and face also got a tidy up. :D My finger is completely numb, as I've never been able to hold scissors properly, I always use my index finger to do the cutting action with, I remember my 1st primary teacher trying to get me to hold them properly, but I could never master it. I still get the same result though - but my finger practically falls off! ::)

Before

After

Don't laugh at me too much, all you real groomers out there! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Does Duggie need a tidy up?! Updated - The fringe is no more!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »
You've done a good job, when you're ready to do more you'll be able to see the shape of his head and work from there  ;)   is it the 'tash & beard next :shades:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
Oh Duggie, what has Mummy done with your fringe  :005: It must be a real shock to you to be able to see everything now  :005: :005:

He looks great Fiona, well done, there's no way I'd have had the confidence to tackle that fringe  :shades: :005:

is it the 'tash & beard next :shades:

if it is, you'll have to give me tips....Chloe has got a full on beard, I'm not sure if I can handle it  :005: :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »
Thats a great job Fiona  :luv:and as Jenny said now you can see the shape of his head its a bit more straightforward ;)
I agree his whiskers and beard are next, I am always trimming Belles face bless her but it is easy when you get the hang of it, the more you do the more confident you will get and it becomes an obsession  ph34r :005: Not that I am an expert by any means :005:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 07:53:28 PM »
I'll let you into a secret - he was lying down when I groomed him and I couldn't really see what I was doing! :005:

I attempted the beard, as I hate it, but he woke up and wouldn't let me, so hopefully I'll manage that in the next day or two. When he got up, he just stood there and allowed me to do a good bit more with his head, but then he wanted his dinner, so I left it for now. :D

Sue, you really should get a pair of thinning scissors, once you get the hang of them, they are great - I didn't want to stop, it was so addictive! :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »

Sue, you really should get a pair of thinning scissors, once you get the hang of them, they are great - I didn't want to stop, it was so addictive! :lol2:

Has OH been warned  :005: ph34r
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »

I would have had a go at his hair too, but he has only just had his groomed clippered, so I'll have to wait. :005:

He hates Duggie's new haircut though, I sent Duggie in to see him, and I heard him say "Oh Duggie, what has she done to you, you look terrible".  ph34r
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
Well done Fiona - I wouldn't have known where to start with that amazing fringe!  :luv: :005:

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline maggieann

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Duggie looks great - you've done a good job there. :D
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »

I would have had a go at his hair too, but he has only just had his groomed clippered, so I'll have to wait. :005:

He hates Duggie's new haircut though, I sent Duggie in to see him, and I heard him say "Oh Duggie, what has she done to you, you look terrible".  ph34r

Don't think he has grounds to complain when a £50 'Doggy Grooming Parlour' debit goes out of his bank account after that comment!  ph34r :005:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 09:06:44 PM »
Gorgeous Duggie. :luv: The loss of a full, wild top knot can come as quite a shock!

My OH, my family and Poppy's dogsitter were all insistent that I kept Poppy's top knot. In the end she had it trimmed shorter but still kept it and we will keep it again (sorry Michele ph34r) when she is next groomed. OH still didnt think it was long enough though! :005:
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c