Author Topic: grooming  (Read 596 times)

Offline bevy

grooming
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »
 >:(  I have an 18mth old orange roan who absoloutley hates being brushed and towel dried.  Since he was a puppy i have tried to get him used to being brushed - but no luck!! He refuses to sit still and starts to growl and eat the brush!! So we usually end up sending him to the groomers ( and good luck to them!!)   He also really dislikes being dried ( tries to eat the towel!!) and just about tolerates having his feet dried off in the wet weather.   Any sugestions anyone??

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: grooming
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:18 PM »

Just take it very gradually.

It might help to do some work when he doesn't need grooming or drying, and just gently stroke him with the towel or comb him through, and then give him lots of praise and some treats.
Gradually build up to being a little more as you would need to be when actually doing the job - continue treating and praising.

Honey dislikes drying/grooming, and we have found that telling her which paw we are drying helps, as we are working with her rather than against her.

Primula is a great aid for particularly nasty knots!  :shades:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: grooming
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:23:15 AM »

Primula is a great aid for particularly nasty knots!  :shades:

But no, you don't rub the primula in the knot, you distract the dog with it  :lol2:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne