Author Topic: Hand strip or Clip?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline x Lou x

Hand strip or Clip?
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
Hi Chester is 9 months old and has been castrated (because of an undescended testicle) but his coat needs a good trim as you can see!
How do I know when the coat is ready to be hand stripped? I know that his coat might change because he has been castrated and might not be able to be hand stripped so do I get him clipped instead? and what is the best cut to ask for at the Groomers?  Is it best to take pictures?  Can anyone recommend a good Groomers near or in Peterborough?

Lots of questions I know!!  but any help would be helpful...thanks

Louise

Chester looking Gorgeous!!!

Offline luckypenny

Re: Hand strip or Clip?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
Crikey - that's quite a bit of hair!! :005: , but he IS gorgeous.   

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
I know, daily brushing is fun!

He gets called Little Bear every where he goes!

This is Chester with his hair brushed back but it doesn't stay there for long!!!

Offline Little-Miss-Molly

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »
OMG....... I could just give him a great big cuddle, he is one fluffy bear :luv:

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
Wow! That is a lot of hair bless him!  :luv: My two are workers with no coat so can't really advise but Jenny Jaspersmum pointed out a link to a grooming tutorial post that looked like a really good 'do'. Will try and kind it!

Edit here it is: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=32160.0

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to have a go myself just yet, I think I will get him sorted at the groomers and then try and keep him in shape.

Thanks for the link, what sort of clippers would you use? Do they have all the blades with them? and how would you cut the legs and feet?
 :lol2:

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »
He's gorgeous, Jeanette is very close to Peterbrough she might be able to suggest a groomer.

Where abouts are you? I lived about 15 miles away from Peterborough when I was growing up, now just outside of Cambridge  :blink:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Hi, I live in Peterborough, Indie was stripped but is now clipped - there is a groomer near me who clips cockers but I still go to the cocker breeder who has been the only one to do Indie's coat as I like to visit her anyway for a natter   :D    She is outside of Peterborough though, Spalding way - if thats no good I know two other groomers, one in Hampton where I live and another one in Yaxley who does do handstripping - be prepared to pay a lot for that though.   

Feel free to PM me if you want any contact details.   

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »
I don't mind driving out a bit if I can find a good groomer, could I have the details for both please (Spalding and Yaxley) Would the breeder trim dogs she hasn't bred? (and a natter sounds good too!)

I'm new to this what does PM mean?

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:34:11 PM »
I don't mind driving out a bit if I can find a good groomer, could I have the details for both please (Spalding and Yaxley) Would the breeder trim dogs she hasn't bred? (and a natter sounds good too!)

I'm new to this what does PM mean?

Private Message - I'll send you one.   

Heres a link to Indie's first haircut - http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=42490.0

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »
Wow, she looks lovely I hope she can work wonders with Chester!!!  Was that the groomer in Spalding?

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
Just typed you a message and my laptop just died  >:(  On the desktop now so will type out again

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
 :luv: What a beautiful fluffy bear  :luv:

Chester is about the same age as Harry.  His hair has been very easy to pull out & I'm having to vacuum daily so I knew he was about ready for his adult cut  :D
Have you tried hand stripping Chester yourself?
I hope you find a good groomer & suggest maybe taking some pictures of what you want
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:15:03 PM »
I have noticed more hair about the house, it must be a sign!! 

Not sure about having a go myself yet, taking pictures is a good idea, I think I'll miss the bear look!!

Thanks

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to have a go myself just yet, I think I will get him sorted at the groomers and then try and keep him in shape.
I don't blame you.  It took me a while to pluck up the courage to start trimming Max myself but with Harry being so hairy I wouldn't have known where to start so I had him trimmed last week by a groomer & hopefully I'll now be able to follow her lines.
Although like I said, I constantly hand stripped his back - it's very therapeutic  ;)   
Maxine owned by Max & Harry