Author Topic: My girl has a very thick coat  (Read 781 times)

Offline Mycockerspaniels

My girl has a very thick coat
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:34:10 PM »
I have never clipped my cockers out, we use occasionally thinning scissors and frequently use a coat king or furminator, I really much prefer the natural look of the cockers coat, but one of my girls has got so thick on her legs and belly, that it is getting very hard to manage, I still don't want to clip unless I really have to, does anyone have any other options which I can try? she is 2 years old and has been spayed which I know can make the coat thicker, although her coat is very thick it is at the same time fine and downy and easily matts.

Offline cfordham2710

• Donator
Re: My girl has a very thick coat
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »

Skye has a very thick coat which grows very quickly.  We keep her coat very short in the summer and slightly longer in the winter purely due to the fact that she is like a sponge soaking up water and it takes ages for her to dry out.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »
Taking some length off will help, doesn't have to be a lot  ;)

There is also something we call "tunneling", where you clip a straight line up the belly, stopping just behind the front legs, Making a "tunnel" under the belly furnishings. Doesn't show from the side, you'll only see it if she rolls on to her back  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »
Taking some length off will help, doesn't have to be a lot  ;)

There is also something we call "tunneling", where you clip a straight line up the belly, stopping just behind the front legs, Making a "tunnel" under the belly furnishings. Doesn't show from the side, you'll only see it if she rolls on to her back  :shades:

William has what we call his "air conditioning strip", clipped as described above. It helps to keep him cool in summer and in wet weather he dries off quicker. You can only see it if he rolls over on his back.

I also use my thinning scissors on the front of his front legs to keep the hair quite short there, and I thin out the feathering on the back of the legs just enough to lessen it's bulk but still leaving it looking quite natural.

Offline Mycockerspaniels

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
Thanks for your advice, will give it a go and see what she turns out like, she is so patient when grooming, I think you could do anything to her and she wouldnt mind, its such a shame when they go so thick after spaying.