Author Topic: Hand strip or Clip?  (Read 3098 times)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Hand strip or Clip?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »
If your dog has been castrated then it is will be kinder to have him clippered or use the coat king for a more natural look. He can still be clippered sympathetically into a show type look with all the feathering just thinned and left longer.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline black taz

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »
Taz was castrated at 7 months and i have stripped him and he has a beautiful coat now, but then again i do cheat sometimes.  Get a metal toothed comb, thread an elastic band between the teeth and comb.  You will have to be gentle so it doesnt tug him too much until his coat comes out a bit easier.  Once you have got the bulk out it is just a case of daily maintenance, but has both Taz and i find grooming very relaxing it is not problem to me.  Like Max X 2 i had a professional groomer scissor cut him the first two times, now i just cut a bit off at a time so avoid mistakes.  WIth Taz being black, it does ocassionally hide the odd slip up.

Unless you really want him clipped all over, i would try at least giving handstripping a try for now otherwise you may regret it later, as i suspect that once you have him clipped handstripping would be impossible.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
It took quite along time - maybe 12-18 months before Max's coat changed after his castration & although I didn't hand strip him I went to a grooming workshop & the breeder there managed it very easily, he'd even been clipped once when we got him at 10 months, if I were you I'd not be tempted to go down the clipper route just yet, but that's just my personal opinion.
Whatever you decide we'll need before & after picture  :luv:   :D
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your help So glad I found this site  :lol2:

Chester looking Gorgeous!!!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
Oh wow - a brown Duggie! :005: I didn't think any other dog had a fringe like his.

I hope you find a groomer who you are happy with. I've started doing Duggie myself, I've only Coat King'd some of his back, and used thinning scissors on his head, so far, but I did Tia last night (as she stays still) and I just trimmed her legs, feet and underneath, after using the Coat King on her back, and thinning scissors on her face and head. It's not perfect, but she is a lot tidier, I didn't like her clipped look, it was too severe. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
Have you any photos of Duggie Please I'd like an idea of how Chester might turn out.
I love the way he looks now even the fringe, but the knots are getting to hard to handle.   :-\
Hope I'm doing the right thing!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »
Have you any photos of Duggie Please I'd like an idea of how Chester might turn out.

There's a before and after pic on page 4! :005:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=68780.0

You are probably right in going to a groomers first, then maintaining his coat yourself, if you can, but I'm just keen on having a go myself, as I couldn't even get near Gari with a brush, and I'm enjoying being able to brush and groom Duggie and Tia. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
Thanks He really looks Like Chester  :lol2: so cute