Author Topic: Clipping Feet - Toe Blades or any other advice please  (Read 604 times)

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
Clipping Feet - Toe Blades or any other advice please
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »
I have just given Bella her first clip of the year as she was looking a bit like a yeti. She looks lovely but the problem I have is she does not like her feet being trimmed and if I go near them with scissors she squeals like I am killing her without me even touching her. I have tried clipping them and its a bit more succesful and I  have just seen toe blades for clippers on a grooming website, would these be useful in this situation and get the bulk of the fur off?
I think she is behaving like this as I trimmed her nails a while ago and cut one too short. I felt horrendously guilty but obviously she has remembered that I hurt her. ( just to make me feel even worse  :'(!!!)
I have tried food bribes to distract her and I have had OH hold her whilst I try and trim but she wriggles and screams. I am at a loss as what to do really and they desperately need doing. please help?
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Clipping Feet - Toe Blades or any other advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »
Oh, this so sounds like Joy  >:( ::)  I've had her since she was 8 weeks (she's 10 years now) and I once clipped a nail too close when she was very young and now she acts like I am going to try to amputate her feet  ::)

What I do with her is with one arm gently hold her body against mine and try to do as much as I can with her feet on the table.(I'm using my arm as sort of a calming wrap) When it comes time that I have to do the pads, I work from behind the foot, rather than pulling the leg out in front of her. On any dog I do, I do the back feet first then the front; I think it gives them a chance to realize that nothing awful is going to happen.  :005:

Toe blades were developed for poodles who get their feet totally shaved including in between the toes. I have used them a couple of times and never liked them. A regular blade does just fine :shades:

Good luck, go slowly, and if you find yourself losing it end the session.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne