Author Topic: Ears question...  (Read 1107 times)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
Ears question...
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
I don't know if this is a grooming thing or just a growing up thing or a colouring thing, but I have recently been looking on the websites of some of the most common 'top' showing cockers... Dreaming of the second one...

Anyway I have noticed and I've seen it at shows too that a lot of them have big, long, thick ears but Murphy's aren't like that at all. His are quite thin and short... The leathers are the correct length as far as I can make out but the hair seems very short. Is there anything I can do to make them look longer or is there anything I should be doing that I'm not?

He, as some of you know, is sable. It hasn't all come back through yet and his head is still golden, with black underneath. Whilst his back is mostly black as well as half of his back legs. His ears seem to vary between red and golden so is it the colour of his ears making them thinner and shorter?

At the moment I am thinning 1/3 down the ears and thinning any really sticky-outey-bits further down.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Ears question...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:46:08 PM »
How old is he? Many puppies don't get "ears" till they are a bit older, especially reds, goldens, orange roans, etc.

You can try putting some light coat oil on his ears, to protect the ends, such as Shaws coat oil or Plush Puppy Seabreeze oil or any other light coat oil.

Good luck!  :blink:

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply. He's 14 months, but he's still not got a very thick skirt and his coat is only just strippable (by me anyway) so I think he might be a 'slow developer'!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
Just to make you feel better. Here is a pic I did that shows just how much my boy has changed over time. I had both sets of pics taken by the same photographer. The pics on the left are of him when I had only been showing him for a while, so he was quite young there and then on the right are very recent ones of him now 2 years old. Now I know he is holding his ears more correctly in the second pic and my trimming has improved, but there is a noticeable difference in feathering and build and even though he's still short on feathering he is getting there and still developing and changing even now.  :D

xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »
That's amazing. Tally looks so nicely put together, but as a youngster he looked a little lanky (I hope you don't mind) Murphy looks/ed like that. He is filling out really well now. Thanks for your replies.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:40:33 PM »
No not at all. I agree with you as a pup he was and I don't think the lack of coat helped. He could still do with stocking up a bit, although he is miles better. He has changed so much, so what I'm saying is I wouldn't worry about Murphy to much and just enjoy it. If me and Tally get somewhere it's fantastic, but first and formost we enjoy each and ever show we go to whatever happens and if either of us didn't we wouldn't do it anymore.  :D

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
If me and Tally get somewhere it's fantastic, but first and formost we enjoy each and ever show we go to whatever happens and if either of us didn't we wouldn't do it anymore.  :D
Sorry to hijack this, but just thought this was such a wonderful attitude to have towards showing  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
If me and Tally get somewhere it's fantastic, but first and formost we enjoy each and ever show we go to whatever happens and if either of us didn't we wouldn't do it anymore.  :D
Sorry to hijack this, but just thought this was such a wonderful attitude to have towards showing  :D

Awwww. Thankyou. Firstly my boy is a pet and if he didn't want to do it we wouldn't. Luckily he loves showing off and being the centre of attention.  ;)  :005: He's not the finest example in the ring, but in my eyes he's always BIS in my house, bless him.  :luv:

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »

Awwww. Thankyou. Firstly my boy is a pet and if he didn't want to do it we wouldn't. Luckily he loves showing off and being the centre of attention.  ;)  :005: He's not the finest example in the ring, but in my eyes he's always BIS in my house, bless him.  :luv:
I think he is BIE!! :luv:
Best In Everything!!!
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »

I think he is BIE!! :luv:
Best In Everything!!!

Awwww Stop He already has a big enough head.  :shades: :005:

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:59:59 PM »
Thanks 5scompany. It's great to see that someone else didn't have the finished article at 6-9months! I know a couple of people have said he is too long which his breeder was quite shocked by. But I can see why now as he fills out and grows up he's growing into a beautiful dog. As I'm learning more about showing I'm enjoying each show more and more. It's so stressful when you start, not knowing where to go, what to do, who to talk to or who not to talk to, but also having a dog which I felt looked completely different and quite awful compared to the others (partially due to my grooming I'm sure!). But we've just about learnt the ropes now and I've found it gets more and more enjoyable. I always know I take home the most beautiful one, but as I said above it's great to see that they don't all come 'ready made.'

Thanks.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
I'm glad I've helped. I've learned along the way with Tally, so we've learned together. With comments I always listen and take on board what people are saying and there are some really lovely people out there who have been so kind and helpful to me, but just remember not everyone is always right and people have different opinions. I have had conflicting advice on Tally before and have just had to go with my gut. You soon learn who to listen to.  :shades: