Author Topic: Absolutely daft question  (Read 1533 times)

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
Absolutely daft question
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »
please post me the link if there is one.

Looking at my furball, and having hacked at one foot, followed by a biscuit, and the other foot, followed by a biscuit, last night (they do look better tho  :D), being an ex hairdresser I'm itching to tackle the whole 'finger in a socket' hairstyle that Tiffers is currently sporting.  But, how on earth, if you haven't got a grooming table, do you keep them still while you're working wonders?

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
Re: Absolutely daft question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:38 PM »
Ironing board! ph34r
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »
Any sturdy table will do, you can put a rubber bath mat on it to help them with their footing, but getting them off the ground is key to the operation  :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
Any table will do, I use my wooden patio table in the spring summer and my kitchen table in the colder months :005: I put an old towel to cover the table then a rubber bath mat, plenty of treats and they soon get used to it ;) I put Belle on the table today for her daily brush then I put up Monty who squirmed and wriggled, my Oh said I was being silly putting him on the table as he is soo small but I wished I started putting Belle on straight away as it took a little while for her to get used to it as I didn't bother until she was about 5 mths :lol2: As a trained hairdresser you will be fine and I find it very addictive, like most things about Cockers really ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
I bought a grooming table, plus two "noose" attachments, one for the neck and one for the body - and Dougie still manages to gnash me and grab the brush or scissors! ::) :005:

I think it's just me... :P
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 10:10:06 PM »
Sorry to hijack but where did you buy your grooming table Fiona and if you don't mind me asking was it expensive/
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »
I got this one Jo   http://splendidpets.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=67_42&products_id=210

I don't think it was too expensive, it was less than I thought, as I was expecting it to be hundreds of pounds - but I think I was thinking of massage tables! :lol2:

It only had one noose though, it says so in the blurb (which I didn't read! ::)), but the photo shows two. I bought a small neck one from E-bay for a few pounds.

The table is quite heavy, but it folds easily, and is very sturdy. Not having much success though, as well as Dougie still gnashing, Tia just lies down - even with the nooses on! ph34r And when I left them off, she jumped down just as I was using very sharp scissors, as she saw a magpie in the garden! :o :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline SandraD

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:45:43 PM »
I also use my kitchen table  ph34r covered in a large towel and rubber bath mat!  I keep promising myself a proper grooming table, roll on June when it's my birthday! :D  Monty has always been groomed on the table (except on the odd occasion in the evening when I might sit on the floor with him watching the TV whilst giving him a brush ph34r :005:) and I find treats and a bone keep him occupied.  I have come to the conculsion that he has extra ticklish feet as he doesn't enjoy having them trimmed - the front are the worst.

Thanks for the supplier link Fiona, have bookmarked it for future reference. :D

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »
It depends what you get with grooming tables as to how expensive they are. I have an electric one in the salon, which did cost a fair bit, but it's a life saver for me and especially my back.  :shades: At home I have one that I bought years ago and was reasonably inexpensive and works fine for my gang at home if I need it. Like others have said though any table would do as long as it's the right height for you and you put something on it to stop the dog slipping around.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline SandraD

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
Another question to add into the mixing pot - what size table is considered adequate for home grooming cockers?  I am quite small and weedy  ph34r :005: so would want something that is fairly light and easy to lift/collapse.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:59:29 PM »
The top of my grooming table is 75x50 cms ( approx 30x20ins). I was going to get a bigger one but was advised not to - you don't want too much space for the dog to move around.

Offline doughy

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
I got my hydrolic grooming table off E-bay I waited to the last minute to bid and got it for £36 with p&p it was £50 hope this helps

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:39:37 AM »
I find the ironing board works a treat for fidgitpants (Mika!)

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
I use the ironing board for Maddi  :D  A towel over it and away we go!!
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »
Thanks for the ideas everyone  :D Will try the kitchen table with a towel and bath mat on and get dd to hold Tiff steady.

Unfortunately can't use ironing board as it's one them that's hidden behind a kitchen drawer and pulls out.  Would hate to stand Tiff on it and have the whole thing crash to the ground  :o :o ::) Scar her for life

And thanks for the link Fiona  :D