Author Topic: clipped cockers.  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
clipped cockers.
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »
I really really cannot decide whats best to do with Dennis , my OH thinks i should clip him to make life easier but im undecided  :-\ I know he speaks sense because he is always wet and muddy , im having to bath him every other day and just to dry him takes about an hour. He loves to come up to then horses with me but i have had to stop that recently because the hay and straw just gets tangled in his coat and im forever snipping bits out with the scissors. Now my reason for not wanting to clip him is selfish really and i just love the look of a cocker with its full coat and the fact that Dennis isnt a wooly cocker and dosnt have much feather compared to most. If i do clip him id like to keep his ears , but would he look daft!

Any advice would be appreciated , and any photos of clipped cockers would be great so i can get an idea of what i want ?

Thanks for listening

Maria  :D

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
Re: clipped cockers.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
I had a similar issue like you...this is my post & the replies I got from COLs!
Look at pudding's links at page 2!  ;)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=70985.0
I am also curious on a clipped cocker photo!
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »
Here's a link to a pic of Maggie - she's just been clipped completely (feathers and all) except her ears, she'd had surgery in Jan so her front half was pretty much as it seems in the pic and they just brought the back half inline :)

Last time we kept her feathers on sides/tum and legs, just thinned out and trimmed.  But this time its all gone and she actually looks ok tho would prefer some feathering - it'll grow back! 

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=70997.0

Wasn't so much of a decision for me as her coat has gone pretty woolly since being spayed and I had no intention of showing her... hope that helps a little!
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
Both Roly and Misha have been clipped.  Roly was done for the first time at Christmas - he was a bit of a wooly monster.  For something so heavy coated Roly doesn't have much of a skirt, but all the same feathers, ears, tail and skirts were untouched other than ends being taken off.

and this is Misha
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:48:14 AM »
Both Roly and Misha have been clipped.  Roly was done for the first time at Christmas - he was a bit of a wooly monster.  For something so heavy coated Roly doesn't have much of a skirt, but all the same feathers, ears, tail and skirts were untouched other than ends being taken off.

and this is Misha

Super girl! They both look stuning after being clipped! I think when the head's hair is short as well as the body, the cocker looks very beautiful!!  :luv:
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »
I clip Ollie all year round because he picks up twigs and all sorts, and he drys in minutes rather than hours. I leave his tail and I ask the groomer to clip the top 1/3 of his ear to allow air to circulate around his ear canal. Here's a pictures:

Offline Uli

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 12:20:50 PM »
My little Paula loves swimming. She even jumped into our river in winter when we had temperatures around 0° Celsius. That is why I took the blending scissors last week, thinned her fur, shortened the feathers etc.. This is the result:

This picture was taken last summer when she was almost 7 months but far too young to touch her coat of hair:

No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich! (Louis Sabin)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
Tilly's a working Cocker but her body coat grows out very dry and fuzzy so she normally gets clipped every couple of months but I just get them to take off her body coat and leave the feathering on her ears (but thin out the top bit), chest, backs of legs, tail and most of it on her belly, I get them to clip out her armpits and a strip up the middle of her belly so it just leaves the feathers at the sides so it still looks nice but she doesn't get the matts and tangles. She still looks natural and like a Cocker but it's really manageable.

When she's done she looks like this:

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
Tilly's a working Cocker but her body coat grows out very dry and fuzzy so she normally gets clipped every couple of months but I just get them to take off her body coat and leave the feathering on her ears (but thin out the top bit), chest, backs of legs, tail and most of it on her belly, I get them to clip out her armpits and a strip up the middle of her belly so it just leaves the feathers at the sides so it still looks nice but she doesn't get the matts and tangles. She still looks natural and like a Cocker but it's really manageable.

When she's done she looks like this:

Awh Tilly  :luv:
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »
Aw I love that picture of Tilly :luv: :luv:

I clip Dave usually and try and keep him a little like this as I prefer a bit of feathering to the all out clip, although his ears are shorter here than I like them usually - he's just been clipped in these pics so it looks a little more natural a couple of weeks on:

It's tricky though, he gets badly caught up if I leave his feathers any longer than this and there are times I take the whole lot off as the areas we walk in (health and forests) are a 'mare for a highspeed cocker to get tangled in - particularly as he follows his more streamlined chum everywhere she goes ::)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
Bailey is clipped shorter on the back though than the legs, OH isn't allowed to touch her ears  :luv:

She hates being groomed and has been spayed so clipping is best us both of us  :blink:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
I took the plunge and had William clipped for the first time (he's nearly 6 years old) a couple of weeks ago. I love Cocker coats, so it was a big decision to make and I understand why you're not sure.

He still has his chest, tummy and leg feathering, plus some under his tail. You can't see the chest feathering clearly in this photo because it was a windy day and he's facing into the wind. Only the top one third of his ears has been clipped. In addition, I clip what I call his air conditioning strip underneath him, so he still has the appearance of full tummy feathering, but it's really just a fringe either side.

William is castrated and his coat had become fluffy and unmanageable despite my use of thinning scissors. I was fed up with him bringing half the New Forest home every day :005:

It's taken me a while to get used to it but I think he still looks like a Cocker and looks balanced, not shorn, so will be sticking with it.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
Thankyou for all your replies , i think i am going to take the plunge it will make my life easier and his  :D

I think im going to start off with a clip like Daves and see if thats easier to manage and if not it will all have to come off  :005:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »
Here is Meg after being clipped,

I do prefer the fuller coats myself but its a lot more comfortable for her and easier to manage, plus like has been said she dries off much more quickly. She's still our pretty girl though :luv: xxxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »
We go for the easy life over summer, Baja and Mole were clipped last week ready for our holiday at the moment in Suffolk, for us it's ease of drying off/keeping cool/easier to manage on holiday in other peoples houses.

This is them before.....

And after, this is the very short look as it has only just been done, but they do kind of grow into it after a couple of weeks. I love the way they feel and the suede feeling ears  :luv: