Author Topic: clipped cockers.  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
Re: clipped cockers.
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »

Maybe the owner of a black cocker could advise better on that one.  :lol2:

To illustrate how the coat is so much easier to deal with after the puppy fluff has gone, here's Stevie at 7½ months ( a similar age to Dennis) - she needed brushing 3 times a day to keep the knots and tangles at bay and soaked up water like a sponge...

Here she is a year later with her adult coat, which is really easy to maintain ( she doesn't take ages to dry and any debris pulls out easily)...

What a sweet lady!!!!! I love her in both photos!!!!  :luv: :luv:
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
Dennis is 15  months not neutered and i think he has a really good coat , hes not wolly and compared to some cockers he hasnt too much feathering , this is why im so undecided on clipping him , the only reason i am considering it is all the walks we go on especially in winter are very wet and muddy and a quick hose down just dosnt get everything out of his coat , i also have horses and he loves coming to the stables but all the hay and straw winds up in his feathering and i usually have to snip it out because i just cant untangle it . Im bathing him every other day or so at the min which isnt ideal and i brush him everyday anyway , so hes not full of knots and mats.

Douglas is 7 months and a bundle of puppy fluff and i actually find his coat easier , he dries alot quicker than Dennis and usually just gets rinsed after a walk , i was just wondering weather 7 months was to young to start clipping him if I do go ahead and get Dennis done then Douglas eventually will end up clipped to , i thought it might be an idea to start getting him used to the clippers now ?

Thanks for all your replies all the doggies are just gorgeous  :luv:

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
Ah sorry Maria - I didn't realise you were talking about 2 different dogs.  ph34r If it were me I'd wait for Douglas's puppy fluff to come out before using the clippers or it might grow back curly - if he's used to being groomed he probably won't need to get used to it. None of my 3 were clipped before they were 4 years old ( 2 of them were 6) and they didn't bat an eyelid. For Dennis you could maybe make a start but not take too much off at first and see how it goes - take more off gradually as you think best depending on how much of a problem it's still causing. I found it quite daunting using the clippers at first so took things really easy, it takes a while to get used to them and not make a complete botch of it.

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »

Ah sorry Maria - I didn't realise you were talking about 2 different dogs.  ph34r If it were me I'd wait for Douglas's puppy fluff to come out before using the clippers or it might grow back curly - if he's used to being groomed he probably won't need to get used to it. None of my 3 were clipped before they were 4 years old ( 2 of them were 6) and they didn't bat an eyelid. For Dennis you could maybe make a start but not take too much off at first and see how it goes - take more off gradually as you think best depending on how much of a problem it's still causing. I found it quite daunting using the clippers at first so took things really easy, it takes a while to get used to them and not make a complete botch of it.
I'm really sorry for the off topic! Colin your videos on the blogspot made me cry to death! Your dogs are stunning!!
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »
Amazing change, although Jimmy is a stunning boy!  :luv:
Any idea how this can affect a black coat? Is it the same visible as golden? If yes, how does it turn to be?

The black on Indie's coat wasn't the problem it was the tan which was worse - it is now the texture of cotton wool so has to be clipped  :P   

Offline Sue E

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
It is a shock when you get them back after being clipped!  Ozzy was done at the weekend and its taken me until today tobe able to take a photo!    Even now its not a great one,but hopefully you can see the difference.

This was him before - taken a few months ago so he wasn't that bad.....

and this is him now:

We've kept some feathering on his legs and skirt, but otherwise he's very short -including the tail. that was the biggest shock but getting used to it now.  His tail used to collect half the debris from his walk before.  And it still wags a lot so he must be happy  :005: