Author Topic: Groomit  (Read 8779 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Groomit
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »
Hi, I have just seen a Groomit deshedding tool on Ideal World (I know  ph34r but shopping channels are my guilty pleasure when I have control of the remote which is not very often  ::)) The man said that as it had no blade just very fine teeth it would not damage therefore cause any change to the fur. I know some of you have these as there was a thread about them last year (mittens started it if I remember rightly ;))
He also said that some breeds such as terriers (didn't mention spaniels) need handstripping and this did the same job and caused no damage to the fur. I know coat kings cut the fur but these don't?
I am very tempted  as I handsrip Belle and she is still a work in progress. Any thoughts
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Re: Groomit
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »
I have one of these in the salon and it's the same sort of thing as a furminator on one side and a rake on the other side. It is a good tool for getting out dead coat, but as for doing the same job as handstripping I really don't think that's true. I personally wouldn't use it on Tally as it is a bit like the end of a blade for clippers and I'm sure if your not careful it could damage the coat. I use these tools on heavy coated shedding breeds like my Nim who is a Cocker x GSD, but moults like a GSD, but not Cockers at work. If your not showing maybe give it a go, but if you are I wouldn't in my opinion.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
Thanks Sarah, perhaps not such a good idea then :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:55:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong it is a good tool, but probably just not the best for what you want it for. It gets Nims coat out a treat and she comes up lovely underneath all that old dead fur. She has the tufty GSD hair at times, but for showing I think you need to be careful about what you use on it.

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:23 AM »
Hi, I use a coat king on Murphy. I show him and some people (even some of the showing ones) have said how long it must take to hand strip him... Admittedly though the hand stripping look does give a better all around polished look.

His Coat King has never cut his hair, I can imagine it might cut or, rather break fine, floaty hair but the hair on his back can be quite coarse and it just pulls it out. If you press hard then I could imagine it might cut the hair but you have to do it really gently, if the hair wants to come out it will! Murphy is 14months and he HATES being stripped and gets really distressed but really enjoys his coat king. His breeder recommended it to me and she has shown at Crufts and won at Champ shows etc. I can never remember which tooth size we have, which I would think would be a critical factor in cutting or pulling out the hair. But they're not as bad as some make out.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:41:31 AM »
I have a Groomit and use it on some pet dogs but don't find it that good to be honest and would never use it on a show dog as it does cut the coat (or breaks it). Same goes for the Coat King - yes some show people use them but you will never get the lovely bloom and finish with a coat king that you get using proper hand stripping techniques. Coat Kings also have a bit of cumulative effect - the coat may look ok for a while but after months of using them, it can be a different story & you can end up with a rough, bitty coat (have seen this so often!). It depends what you want to achieve though ... as with any grooming tool.
Jane

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »
Thanks for all your replies they have been really useful ;) I am keeping my options open with regard to showing Belle we know she has great potential its just finding the time to put into showing along with 4 kids :-\
I am keeping her show coat as I say I am keeping my options open, being a heavy coated Black she takes a lot of work and I strip her and she looks great 2 weeks later she looks really heavy coated again, I suppose I am just looking for a quick way and ther isn't one really :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »
Agree with Jane, a coat king was used on Tyke's bum for a while (sorry Tyke) it looked fine to start with but then became a nightmare to get back to normal, I have always regretted doing it and the hours it took to get his rear looking nice again. Thank goodness he has a fair coat for a particolour. It seemed too good to be true and it was.

Try an elastic band through a fine comb to help speed things up, or ask the breeder to do some ( Like I do :005: )

Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
Do you use finger cots or/and chalk as they make it alot easier to get a grip. I also love my spratts comb with elastic band wound round the teeth as I get lots out that way and simply just brushing Tally with a slicker brush gets a fair bit out. Also I do a bit with Tally whenever I have a chance. Even when sat infront of the Telly of an evening. I'm sure a thickly coated solid black is a lot more work, but well worth it as they look stunning. I dream of the day I can get another black for show and handstrip it's coat, although I don't have 4 kids.  :shades: :005:

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »
I hope you don't mind me asking bajoleth. But Jane, if you had one who wouldn't be stripped at home, no matter how slowly you took it or what lovely sweeties there were or what fantastic distractions there are. (Although he will let me strip him at shows) What would you do? The Coat King, as I said was recommended by his breeder is a good option, and as he has always HATED being stripped That is what I have used. If his coat gets really bad then I can get the rubber gloves on and more or less stroke him and will get a lot out. But as soon as I pinch my fingers around a bit of hair he gets really upset and it's just much nicer for everyone to do it with the coat king. What would you suggest?

I would agree though Bajoleth, there isn't a quick fix. Murphy has a fairly thick coat but my main battle is his fly-away skirt getting matted. I do feel for anyone with a black dog, they look beautiful when they're all done but it must be a ridiculous amount of work.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 04:51:38 PM »
Yep blacks take forever and a day, some more than others. It's feels like a full time job and my breeder would be laughing now as she does a huge amount on Lance. ;)

Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
I groom her everyday, admittedly this is just a brush and comb through, then at the weekend I go over her with a plucking action it comes out easily enough its just as there is such a large area to do my fingers are aching after just doing her head ::). The only comb I use has elastic wound through it and that is used everyday, she is 13mths now and still seems to have a lot of brownish fluff in her legs and skirt and parts of her coat on her back stick up, she has a lovely shine to her coat but it isn't silky IYKWIM :-\
I know I shouldn't be complaining about her thick coat cos I know when Monty is her age I will be complaining about his lack of coat, he is not a fluff monster like she was at his age :lol2:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
I hope you don't mind me asking bajoleth. But Jane, if you had one who wouldn't be stripped at home, no matter how slowly you took it or what lovely sweeties there were or what fantastic distractions there are. (Although he will let me strip him at shows) What would you do? The Coat King, as I said was recommended by his breeder is a good option, and as he has always HATED being stripped That is what I have used. If his coat gets really bad then I can get the rubber gloves on and more or less stroke him and will get a lot out. But as soon as I pinch my fingers around a bit of hair he gets really upset and it's just much nicer for everyone to do it with the coat king. What would you suggest?

I haven't had a puppy that didn't learn to enjoy being groomed & stripped and I'm not suggesting you change what you do - if you're happy with a Coat King, then that's absolutely fine but if everyone starts to use them for show dogs, then very soon we will see the end of the lovely, naturally presented show coat which would be a real shame :(

I do know what it's like to groom and strip heavy coated dogs (one of our current dog has a very thick coat which seems to grow on a daily basis) but I don't find it's a massive chore as long as I do some work little and often (ie every day) no matter how I'm feeling (even if it's only 15 minutes or so). That is the secret really - start young and do a little every day so a puppy never gets tired or bored with marathon grooming sessions.

Jane

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »
I groom her everyday, admittedly this is just a brush and comb through, then at the weekend I go over her with a plucking action it comes out easily enough its just as there is such a large area to do my fingers are aching after just doing her head ::). The only comb I use has elastic wound through it and that is used everyday, she is 13mths now and still seems to have a lot of brownish fluff in her legs and skirt and parts of her coat on her back stick up, she has a lovely shine to her coat but it isn't silky IYKWIM :-\
I know I shouldn't be complaining about her thick coat cos I know when Monty is her age I will be complaining about his lack of coat, he is not a fluff monster like she was at his age :lol2:

Sounds like your doing everything right. I also have a wrist support at the Salon that I got from groomers, but to be honest I don't use it that much as I find it restricting. Also have you tried something like a shine/dry coat for the sticky up bits. It's not the most flattering of garments and Tally does tend to sulk a bit when he has it on,  :shades: :005: but I find it makes a huge difference to his coat and flattens it down whilst producing a lovely shine. I usually only use it when he has shows and leave it on for a few hours and then on the way to the show, but I have been known to put it on for a short while when going somewhere with him and it's looking a bit out of control.  :shades: :005: I also have an antistatic spray from bio groom which works quite well.

I haven't had a puppy that didn't learn to enjoy being groomed & stripped and I'm not suggesting you change what you do - if you're happy with a Coat King, then that's absolutely fine but if everyone starts to use them for show dogs, then very soon we will see the end of the lovely, naturally presented show coat which would be a real shame :(

I do know what it's like to groom and strip heavy coated dogs (one of our current dog has a very thick coat which seems to grow on a daily basis) but I don't find it's a massive chore as long as I do some work little and often (ie every day) no matter how I'm feeling (even if it's only 15 minutes or so). That is the secret really - start young and do a little every day so a puppy never gets tired or bored with marathon grooming sessions.

Tally is so used to it he falls asleep on the grooming table whilst I work.   ph34r :shades: :005:

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »
He loves being groomed. Just hates being stripped. I think he must just be really sensitive because I've been doing it (or trying at least) since he was 8 weeks!!! Was just wondering what you or anyone else more experienced would do. His coat is lovely (I think) but the overall look I'm sure could be better because I'm not too good at it yet. It's smoothing out beautifully and has a nice shine but I'm having to use the coat king because he won't let me strip him.

I've been trying to order one of those coats all weekend but the website doesn't work!!! It's so annoying, would like to try it for sunday. I'll have to phone to get one.