Author Topic: working cocker grooming recommendations  (Read 17684 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: working cocker grooming recommendations
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »

I don't find them that great except for removing out obviously dead fluffy bits - I use them mainly for heads.

that'd be 90 percent of Jarvis then  ph34r ::)

Thanks Jane and Caticus, will give it a go  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline jla

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »
Have a look on some of the grooming suppliers websites - google them and you will get a list or send me a message and I'll tell you some.
I bought about 6 at crufts, they were 3.99 each. They do wear down like a pumice stone. You will maybe see them advertised as stripping stones. They are the colour of pumice and do shatter if you drop them. I have been told you can get white cocker stones, but have never managed to find them.

Is this the white version?  http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1637/stripping-stone---light-coats

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 03:36:35 PM »
I have never heard of a stripping stone before  :o
Could someone tell me how it actually works?
Do you just run it along the dog's coat and the loose hair is attracted to it and comes out?  :huh:
That sounds too good to be true  ;)
Is there a special technique involved?
At the moment I just use a comb and rubber band on my girls but I am always open to new ideas  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Caticus

• Site Member
  • Ash at 12 weeks
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 07:03:24 PM »
Its only used on dogs that can be handstripped ie terriers and cockers. I use it in conjunction with hand stripping. It removes the blown coat or fluffy top coat when it is ready to come out, it doesn't take out any other coat. I find it useful for the tops of heads, backs and top leg feather areas.
It works really well on some dogs and not so good on others.
Yes, you hold it firmly and drag it over the coat in the direction of growth. You don't press hard or dig in or you will hurt the dog. Its not a miracle worker, and is no good it the coat is knotty.
For what they cost, it is worth a try to see if it works on your dogs coat - or ask a groomer to give it a try for you. I often get people popping up from the pet shop below to ask what will work on their dogs coats.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 07:19:05 PM »
Its not a miracle worker,  
That IS so sad  :005:
I was rather hoping I would just hold it over my girls' coats and the loose hair would fly up to it with no effort from me! :005: :005:
Will give it a go, if it doesn't work, it can join the other redundant grooming tools purchased with such high hopes :005:
Thanks for advising of the existence of the stripping stone  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart