Author Topic: Does anybody have experience of a Furminator grooming brush?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline zeranum

Need some advice, another cocker owner recently recommended a brush called the furminator: http://www.furminator.com/, that is supposed to be a really effective way of grooming your dog. It looks like it might be 'cutting' the coat and I don't want to do any damage to Maya's coat. Has anybody else used this and is it a good investment?

Thanks! :-)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Does anybody have experience of a Furminator grooming brush?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
If you do a forum search, you should find quite a few threads discussing furminators. I don't really rate them for Cockers as they're more suited to dogs with heavy undercoats which Cockers generally don't have but if you find the previous threads, you'll find some members do like this tool.
Jane

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »
It really depends on the type of coat your cocker has! Purdey has fine silky hair and it doesnt really do much on that, but on Alfie's wooly coat, it is incredible! I can get a tesco carrier of fluff off him with it.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline zeranum

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 08:23:32 AM »
Thanks, just searched the forums and got some good info on it!  :D

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »
As a groomer I use this tool on occasion on heavy coated moulting breeds like Retrievers and GSDs, but I don't use it on Cockers. It does have blades and can cut and damage the coat if your not careful and really it's not a tool I would highly reccomend really. Like Jane has said there is plenty of discussion on this sort of thing on here.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
I too have been wondering about the furminator. Alfie is a very hairy 10mth old who has already been clipped twice. I asked for the hair on his legs to be kept long, but its very thick and when its hot he lies down from time to time when out walking. Fortunately we live in the north of Scotland where we're not overprone to getting long spells of heat so it shouldn't be a longterm problem, but I think he would be better with some of the weight taken off the hair on his legs. I went into the pet shop where they suggested the furminator but I didn't buy one as I wasn't too sure about it. My last cocker was a working one so this massive amount of hair is new to me. I have looked through some previous threads on furminators but can't see any mention regards using it on the legs, so would appreciate any advice on this. I also see about threading a rubber band through a comb so will try that first.
Can I ask Zeranum if you got one and how you found it?

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:13:33 AM »
I also see about threading a rubber band through a comb so will try that first.

I use the rubber band and comb with Alfie and find it great although not really on his legs. It does pull here and he gets quite annoyed, im not sure if this is the case for all dogs or whether this fur just isnt ready. Thinning scissors would probably help you with the bulky hair on the back of his legs.
Good luck :D xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline seaangler

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »
Brought ares at crufts(on offer) Much the same...Works very well on Cindy (The G/T)..does the cat as well.....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 12:45:05 AM »

I use the rubber band and comb with Alfie and find it great although not really on his legs. It does pull here and he gets quite annoyed

[/quote]

Thanks for the word of warning re the rubber band on the legs. He's not overkeen on getting groomed anyway so would not want to put him off any more. The hair on his legs is thick all the way round-he's like a long haired teddybear!

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:09 AM »
It might just be our Alfies fur thats not ready yet so just have a go and see how easily it comes out :D xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:11 AM »
I used to use a Furminator and I 'thought' it was great as loads of hair came out.
However, I found that the new growth grew at funny angles and didn't lie flat :o
I have since abandoned this tool and gone back to the comb and rubber band and my girls' coats are gradually getting better.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »
It might just be our Alfies fur thats not ready yet so just have a go and see how easily it comes out :D xxx
I have never had much luck with the elastic band and comb on the legs either Emma, Belle is black and so has a huge amount of very thick hair and Monty who is Golden has much finer silkier hair but still has loads of it I keep saying we should have called him Teddy  :005:
I find the elastic band and comb great for the head and body but have had to use a thinning scissors on legs  ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:45 PM »
Yep with legs I use a combination of Thinners and Handstripping.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline fionad

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 03:11:50 PM »
I used one on our Sophie. It took twelve months before her coat was back to normal.

It has been filed in the bin! An expensive mistake :005: :005:

Offline zeranum

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
Hi,

I finally got it and been testing it. Sorry for the late response Siam!  :D

Still not sure what to make of it, I guess for occasional use it is ok but I would not use it too frequently! I would be worried that poor Maya would have no hair left!  :005: It certainly removes a lot and I think by using it to supplement her existing grooming the overall result is fairly decent. Hope that helps!  :D