Author Topic: Splayed feet  (Read 1212 times)

Offline H_H

• Sams world
Splayed feet
« on: August 16, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
OK so my OH dad keeps telling me I need to trim Yuki's feet so she doesn't get splayed feet  :huh:
What does he mean?! Has anyone had this or seen this? I groom her daily and check her feet. All I can think of is that is the feet get terribly matted this can splay the feet. She is 17 weeks tomorrow, surely I don't have to worry just yet?

Sam and Yuki
Now owned by Yuki-Blue roan boss!

http://samsworld-sammy.blogspot.com

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Splayed feet
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »
Their paws do get matted between the toes if you don't keep on top of trimming paws.  Don't know about splayed paws, but I'm sure it must be uncomfortable for dogs to walk with matted fur on their paws - also makes it difficult to check for grass seeds.  As long as you keep checking there shouldn't be any problems, but just be aware that they can get matted very quickly.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
You need to trim the hairs that grow between the pads on the feet, the sooner you do it the better as it will get the pup used to it as it is something that needs doing regulary. The pup needs to walk on the pads not hair and the hair will just keep growing and can mat. You just need a basic sharp scissors and trim the hair where it protrudes from between the pads, don't go down between them you can tidy up the hair growing past the nails too, Yuki will soon get used to it , the younger you start the better. HTH
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline H_H

• Sams world
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »
Brilliant replies :) thank you. He just confused me  >:D Never heard of what he was talking about and couldn't find any info on it. Best get the primula out tonight then  :005:

Thanks again,

Sam and Yuki

Now owned by Yuki-Blue roan boss!

http://samsworld-sammy.blogspot.com

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »
To be honest, I never haver to really worry about the hair under Dave's feet - it seems to get worn away with exercise..

One thing he might be talking about is their claws - My didn't have her claws properly managed as a youngster (I got her when she was 2 5) as a result the blood vessels in the claws are also quite long now so you can't trim them as short as they should be... this has also resulted in her paws becoming a little distorted - the long claws have pushed a couple of her toes into slightly funny angles. It's not really bad and at the moment certainly doesn't seem to cause her any problems at all but I just wondered if he was talking about keeping claws short rather than fur?

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x