Author Topic: Advice needed before Gracies first trim!  (Read 1578 times)

Offline sarahbe

Advice needed before Gracies first trim!
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:09:38 PM »
Gracie is going for a trim on Tuesday. I can have her hand stripped(£45.00) or clipped(£22.50). Can someone tell me the pros and cons please? Also she is only 6 months old and VERY fluffy- very furry leg warmers and punk like on her head. I am not sure how much to have off- any advice appreciated- thanks.

She is fluffier than this now!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Advice needed before Gracies first trim!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:20:13 PM »
At 6 months I don't think they would look at clipping her anyway, she will still have all her puppy fur and that should be handstripped.  And at 6 months I'm not convinced that much will come away, but I'm no expert by any stretch.  Am sure one of the groomers will be along with proper advise soon, but in the meantime I think you should be thinking along the lines of handstripping...
Lisa
x
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:37:55 PM »
www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=74824.0

I am not experienced but I agree for handstripping....
I did it for Scarlett at 6 months although she was not so fluffy and it was fantastic!
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline grracee

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »
I had Charlie trimmed last friday & I wasn't too keen on having him clipped as I might eventually show him so she just tidied his feet & legs up, took the fluff off the top of his head and trimmed the end of his tail (it was really long! :005:) & stripped some of his puppy fluff off the sides, as Maggie said, not all of it was ready to come out, as he's only 5 1/2 months but it does look alot tidier now & you can see his adult coat coming through.
I'm not experienced in the grooming area but I would have her hand stripped. I took Charlie back to his breeder as she's a groomer & it cost me £20 for a bath & trim, also she picked him up from the house & brought him back after. She normally charges about £25 - £30 but only charged me £20  :blink:
Good luck with her trim on tuesday, looking forward to seeing some pics! She looks gorgeous in the picture you posted btw  :luv:

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
Gracie may need to be nearly 8/9 months to handstrip  :blink: she is very beautiful  :luv:

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
Thanks everyone. I have decided to go for the handstrip- tomorrow I wil ask them to tidy her feet and the top of her head- which looks rediculous when flluffed up! I will post some piccies after. Gracie also went for her first proper training class today- and was very exited!!- Everyone thought she did very well and was very pretty. Her show name is 'Ginger Ice at Ryallcourt' and was from a lovely lady in Worcester.

Offline grracee

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
Thanks everyone. I have decided to go for the handstrip- tomorrow I wil ask them to tidy her feet and the top of her head- which looks rediculous when flluffed up! I will post some piccies after. Gracie also went for her first proper training class today- and was very exited!!- Everyone thought she did very well and was very pretty. Her show name is 'Ginger Ice at Ryallcourt' and was from a lovely lady in Worcester.

She is absolutely gorgeous!  :luv: :luv: I like her show name, Worcester isn't too far from me :D Looking forward to seeing some pictures of her new haircut! :luv: :shades:

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 10:42:08 AM »
Well here are the results- just a tidy on the feet and head- hand strip in a few months!

As you can see she was exhausted after!- The things a girl has to do to look good!!!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:05:32 PM »
She looks fabulous :luv:, will be interested in a pic after she has been handstripped in a few months time.  Lesley  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09:40 PM »
Thanks Lesley- I wasnt sure if they had taken enough off really but looking at the other picture she does look better and is shaping up to be a pretty girl!- I am biased of course!

Offline bertie749

• Site Member
  • Alfie's Slaves
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
Wow,

Very cute before and after. 

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Roger Caras