Author Topic: Knotty ears....  (Read 672 times)

Offline Midas

Knotty ears....
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:50:05 PM »
Hi!

Can anyone tell me if there is anything i can do to stop knots appearing in my Cockers ears?!!

I brush them everyday, but as soon as we come back from a walk the knots are back and it seems to a constant grooming battle, which I seem to be losing all the time!

Help!!    :P

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
Re: Knotty ears....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »
Maybe you could use a conditioning spray on the ears before you go out - perhaps this may help repel some of the gubbings they come home with :lol2: 

I just go for the short look on my black boy Finn or he does look like Diana Ross :005:....Alfie's ears are more like a Labs - no untangling required thankfully ;)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
I find a wide-toothed comb is much more effective than a brush to be honest, even with a slicker I find they just skim the surface whereas a comb really gets in there and deals with knots! We also buy detangling spray made by Groomers (Pets at Home sell it too) which is very good for easing out knots.

Morgan gets walked daily in the woods and gets incredibly messy so I do my grooming after we get home and he stays tidy until the next day. He has spaniel bowls so his ears don't dangle in food or water and get sticky. They get dreadfully sticky though if he has a peanut butter Kong  :shades:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »
I prefer to use a comb too, In fact I never use a brush anymore I just use a comb, I find it gets right down to the skin so you're working all of the knots out and not just making the top of their fur look nice!

I rarely get knots now and just have to trim out the occassional mat under their armpits or if they've got really tangled up in woodland debris!  ::)
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!