Author Topic: Yelps when brushed  (Read 824 times)

Offline gagasue

Yelps when brushed
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »
My little working cocker Lizzie, yelps when I am brushing her, I am very gentle and and can find nothing in the place where I was brushing.  Sometimes I have barely moved the brush over her fur.  She is especially sensitive around her rear end, but yesterday it was around her chest.  I can spend hours brushing and combing her ears, she loves that.  Does anyone have any idea what is the matter with her, and what I can do about it.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Re: Yelps when brushed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »
As soon as Selby sees the comb and brush he yelps and growls >:D and I have never pulled any knots out.

The only thing I can think of is try giving a treat to chew on to distract her, I am sure one of the more knowlegable ones will be along shortly.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »
What sort of brush are you using? I can't use a spiky slicker on Morgan as his coat is very silky and not particularly dense so he found it very scratchy and uncomfortable. I went back to using a more gentle plastic slicker with little bobbles on the prongs.

Welcome to Col by the way!  :D
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline jenza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:48:49 PM »
Mine was a like that too when brushed, I persevered with the gentlest brush I could find -  in fact I pinched my grandaughters baby brush, and spent ages just getting her used to being brushed and giving heaps of treats.  Gradually working up until now she lets me do what I like to her. 

But she's still the same in the bath - doesn't mind the water but as soon as I put shampoo on her she wimpers and cries - can't believe the noise she makes!  Vet has looked at her but says she's absolutely fine just a big wimp  :005: