Author Topic: Tally's coat advice please!!!  (Read 888 times)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Tally's coat advice please!!!
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
Actually wasn't sure where to put this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place mods.  :shades:

I'm Really at my wit's end with Tally's coat at the mo. He keeps getting felted matts, which come out when combed, teased, whatever. He's really loosing a fair bit of coat and it's breaking my heart as it's taken 2 1/2 yrs to grow it like that. Plus he does keep scratching, but has been de flead recently and skin doesn't look pink at all. I was wondering about a food allergy, but he's been on this food a while and nothing wrong with the coat on his back. Seems to be since Dru arrived and I've put it down to Dru chewing his coat, which apart from telling him off when doing it and keeping Tally's coat well brushed and conditioned there's not much else I can do if it's that. Mind you if it's something else I would hate to think I could have done something to stop it happening. He's lost a fair bit already, but does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or what I could do. Maybe he's allergic to Dru.  :shades: :005:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Tally's coat advice please!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
If I had the answer to this i'd be a millionaire!  :lol2: I can sympathize, Bracken has one of those impossible coats.

You can try giving him a vinegar rinse after a bath (oatmeal or medicated shampoo- a coal tar/sulphur/salicylic acid shampoo is a good place to start) you can do up to 50% vinegar to 50% water; then putting him up in a heavier oil such as Shaws or Plush Puppy (skirt , feathering, ears only!  :005:)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »
He's not stressed by having Dru around is he Sarah - just wondered whether that might be causing him to chew it himself a bit too  :-\  Assume that if he's licking/chewing that might add to it matting.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
Thanks spanielcrazy I've got a fair bit of advice off FB from friends too so I have a few things to try now.  ;) Someone on there said it was unlikely he was chewing himself Jenny, but I did wonder that. I think he was stressed by Dru being around, but not anymore. They love each other except when Tally had enough and puts his paw down and then it's Dru that squirms across the floor apologising profusely.  :shades: :005: He does hero worship Tally a bit.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx