Author Topic: Help with Sticky Coat  (Read 608 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Help with Sticky Coat
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »
Hi

I am at my whits end Amy my spade Orange roan cocker who for a spade bitch has a reasonable light coat with fine featherings is getting into such a state due to a sticky coating. We train and compete in agility and over the winter months I come across the same problem with the indoor venues that I go to the sticky sand surface.

A lot of the equestrian centres that are used for agility use a surface of sand mixed with "lanolin" I think the problem is it gets into Amy's featherings and goes like goo and will not brush out  >:D

Poor Amy get so clogged up with it her fetherings mat so bad and goes as far as to make her sore I end up bathing her every time to get the stuff out and spend ages also cutting and thinning the mats out.

I have used a variety of things her coat is well condition I spray her with a leave in conditioner I am just now at a loss what to do apart from avoiding the venue which means not going training each week for a start.

So if any one has some advice on anything I could use as I do not want to clip her fetherings off and I do not want to have to keep bathing her every week and wearing a coat doing agility is possibly not a safe option
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: Help with Sticky Coat
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:11:53 PM »
Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do. I have found the same when taking the dogs to these types of venues to shows, I tend to avoid them now  ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »
I had this problem with my black & white boy Chester who does agility. We used to train on red sand so he ended up white with a tinge of red. After trying conditioner, etc we ended up clipping his feathering off underneath. It didn't really matter that much as he didn't really take to show ring and would much rather be kept busy working!  :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »
I had this problem with my black & white boy Chester who does agility. We used to train on red sand so he ended up white with a tinge of red. After trying conditioner, etc we ended up clipping his feathering off underneath. It didn't really matter that much as he didn't really take to show ring and would much rather be kept busy working!  :luv:

As Amy is Orange roan going more orange in colour is not to big an issue  :lol2: but as she is quite a slight build I do not really want to cut her featherings off, so I think it is going to have to be avoid this type of surface really.

Thank you
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack