Author Topic: Anyone Know How To Prevent Matted Hair?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Anyone Know How To Prevent Matted Hair?
« on: January 14, 2005, 07:38:30 PM »
Hi everyone

I brush louis everyday, i tidy up his coat most weekends, but can't seem to stop his hair from becoming matted :(  :(  I bathed him on wednesday, i made sure he was brushed beforehand, i put loads of doggie conditioner on, i brushed him afterwards and attempted to dry him with the hairdryer, but he doesn't seem to like it much, but i'am introducing it for longer each time :D  The next day i felt his feathers and he had two huge mattes on either side :angry:  :angry:  My mum and i managed to brush most of them out, but louis did not enjoy the experience.  I was worried that they were so tight they were pulling his skin and irritating him.

Has anyone got any ideas on how i could prevent them?  His hair is fine, but he has a lot of it and he has been neutered, if this helps!

BFN

Gemma

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 08:03:09 PM »
he has been neutered, if this helps!

that's your problem - my friends girl was spayed (sister of Jasper) and her coat matts as you look at it. Where as Jasp does get knots if he's not brushed as you'd expect - but I can get away with missing a couple of days or so and he'll only have a couple of minor easily removed knots. He only get's real matts when he's been neglected like in the kennels - but that's another story.

However, when a cocker is neutered it does alter the texture of their coat and matting is a common problem as the coat is more wooly. That's one of the reasons why you see so many cockers with their coats shorn off :(

All you can do is keep up what you're doing and try putting leave in conditioners on and spray detangler each time you go to groom him. You could also try spray in coat oil to try and keep it a bit more sleek and ease the removal of knots/matts if not stop them.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 10:00:30 PM »
Found this problem with my new boy Max - had him done not long after i had him -
strangely enough the worst matts were under his belly where the hair is thinner :huh:

Only way to prevent matts are groom, groom, groom - or shave the coat off totally :lol:  :lol:  
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Louis

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 01:34:53 PM »
Thanks for that, I definatley wont be shaving louis coat off all together i think it looks terrible :(  :(  Just thinned his coat out this morning and he looks ten times better and doesn't seem to have any more mattes :D  :D  Just have to keep up the hard work and maybe get some leave in conditioner and see if this helps :rolleyes:

Thanks

Gemma & Louis

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »
The damp weather makes matting 10 times worse than usual IMO & the finer the hair, the worse the problem.
So if your dog goes out & gets wet, comb through & dry thoroughly - this should help.  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 10:23:31 PM »
So if your dog goes out & gets wet, comb through & dry thoroughly - this should help.  :)
I find it really tough to comb Molo's hair when he is wet - it doesn't seem to make any difference as the hair knots again as soon as the comb has passed through it  :(

Is there a 'wet dog' comb that would make things easier ?  :D  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 12:56:29 AM »
Im sure I remember someone saying to me that Cowboy Magic??? I think it;s called, from Hub international (have online site) is great for knots and matts. Not sure though if you can put it on and leave it to prevent them or if you work it in before brushing but might be worth further investigation -  
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 06:41:59 PM »
Before I dry mine I spray a product called "Ice on Ice" then comb with a wide tooth comb, it is a leave in detangler available from Hub International. Not cheap but good, got the tip from an Am. Cocker Exhibitor.  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 09:44:33 PM »
Just had a look at the Hub International site and found the grooming products.

I just placed an order for the Ice on Ice :) ...it sounds really good