Author Topic: smelly ears!  (Read 1660 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
smelly ears!
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Last night I realised that Pepper's "doggy" smell is largly from his wet ears! They get wet a lot and seem to take ages to dry. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do about it!!!!!

Offline jann

• Site Member
Re: smelly ears!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »
Wash regularly dipping the ear into a jug of warm water containing  a mild shampo or hibiscrub solution, then rinse in the same way and towel dry.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
we minimise the risk of getting wet ears or getting dinner in them with a snood.....you can get them off ebay for just a few pounds, just put dog snood into the search bar and bobs ya uncle...pick ya colour ;)

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
I also use a snood for meal times, but not outside, and their ears trail into everything they sniff !   ;)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
Snoods are fab especially when its really wet and they have to go out for a walk  :blink:

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
I also use a snood for meal times, but not outside, and their ears trail into everything they sniff !   ;)

oh we always use them on a walk if its wet, weve got lots of different colours aswel as sparkly ones....ebony is well known round these parts for her fancy snoods :005:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »
Alfie's ears get wet every day, we just let them dry naturally and then when they are dry i give them a spray with some condtioning spray and comb them through and they don't smell :blink:. Oh, and we always make sure that his ears are never left dirty after a walk, we give them a rinse with the hose pipe when we are doing his legs and belly.
 I dont like the idea of them wearing a snood out walking :-\ but i suppose it could be a good idea so as to keep Peppers ears out of his food. Alfie is fed on dry kibble so meal times arent a problem for him.
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »
I often find a slug in the bottom of Ellie's ears due to her permanently having her nose to the ground and her ears collecting anything in their way.

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas..i will think about the snoods and pay more attention to washing them after walks. I have always done belly and feet but will add ears to the list!....Emma,what conditioner do you use?

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas..i will think about the snoods and pay more attention to washing them after walks. I have always done belly and feet but will add ears to the list!....Emma,what conditioner do you use?

http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/770/groomers-coat-conditioning-spray-250ml

This is the stuff, keeps them smelling lovely :blink:
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Nicky

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
We use snoods too, they are great, especially when its wet outside!
When I don't put a snood on them and they have got their ears messy I just rinse them with warm water and a mild shampoo.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »

oh we always use them on a walk if its wet, weve got lots of different colours aswel as sparkly ones....ebony is well known round these parts for her fancy snoods :005:

i would rather use a snood outside than risk another ear infection caused by wet ears and then warm central heating (according to my vet) x x