Author Topic: Any point trying coat king on clipped dog?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Rufus MacD

Any point trying coat king on clipped dog?
« on: May 27, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »
Having read loads of past posts about coat kings and clipped dogs I have almost come to the conclusion that there is no point trying coat king on a dog who has been clipped for a long time and who now has a very woolly coat. Do you agree?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Any point trying coat king on clipped dog?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:37 PM »
I really think it depends on the individual dog and their coat - Nicola has had Tilly (liver working cocker) clipped for years but has been recently trying out my coat king on her and on Tilly it really works  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »
Ok, thanks for that. I might give it a go then.

Offline louisedi

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:26:45 AM »
Has your dog been neutarted, you may find more difficult to get it, good luck

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
Yes he was neutered at a very young age (6 months) for some reason. He is a rescue and I got him at 8 months. Do you think if I try it I should leave his coat to grow in a bit? I keep it very short or he will mat up. His coat doesn't seem to shed at all.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
His coat sounds quite similar to Tilly's although she's a working Cocker. She's also a rescue and was neutered and had been clipped right back to the skin when I got her. I let her coat grow in and then got her a more 'Cocker' looking clip, keeping the feathering on her ears, chest, legs, tail etc. She had got very shaggy over the winter though as I hadn't had her clipped for ages and when we were at Helen's I attacked her with the Coat King and I was amazed at how well it worked on her. For a spayed, has-been-clipped solid liver her coat is surprisingly nice under the cotton-wool fuzz that grows on her back, legs and sides and the CK really gets all that out on her.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
Thanks for that. I wish I could try someone else's too because they are quite expensive aren't they? I think i will get it though. It's worth a try I think. Will let you know how i get on.

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
I would give it a try. My spayed little girl is stil very pretty and I us the coatking on here coat.

In the Netherlands there are cheap versios of the coatking, I found some in the Uk for you:
http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=67&sort=2a&page=3

I have the original and an other one than Mars and I can't feel the differants between them.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »
I would give it a try. My spayed little girl is stil very pretty and I us the coatking on here coat.

In the Netherlands there are cheap versios of the coatking, I found some in the Uk for you:
http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=67&sort=2a&page=3

I have the original and an other one than Mars and I can't feel the differants between them.

Thank you so much, wow what a difference in price!

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »
Well, I started using the dezynadog cheaper coat king on Rufus tonight (as a birthday treat poor boy) and there is definitely a load of fluffy stuff coming out which bodes quite well. It seems to get a grip better on the longer hair and if I do it in the side direction ie not from head to tail direction but at a right angle to this-  from centre of back towards the feet if you see what I mean. Is this the natural way the coat grows?

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
That's the way I do it on Saartje when there is still fluffy hair, but nothing is coming out anymore when I strike from head to tail. On the sides the hair grows from back to feet, so no problem. Just don't strike form tail to head against the hairgrow
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
OK thank you!

Offline jujuli

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »
I was searching threads about grooming and came across your thread.  Charlie looks just like yours Rufus MacD and I wondered how you were getting on with the coat king?  Until about a year or so ago our old groomer used it with hand stripping and he looking so lovely and silky (despite being castrated).  When she moved away I couldnt find anyone to do the same thing and we resorted to clipping.  However, he is becoming just so woolly now it is unbelievable.  In fact we met some people who actually had cockers too and they asked if he was a cross like one of those cockerdoodles!  I have made the decision to do something myself and perhaps try a coat king to see if I can bring his coat back to anywhere near its former glory.  Also, do you use clippers at all on the body or face as well as the coat king?  Thanks

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »
I have used coat king twice now and I think his coat over his back is thinning out a bit, however, it is definately not silky. It still looks rather stiff and dry. He is silky on his head and neck and ears only but that was always the case. I am going to persevere though, as there is still a lot of fluff coming out whenever I do it. I am going to let it grow a little bit on his back and keep thinning it out. I have also started giving him salmon oil. I am trying to find something which I can apply to his coat to make it less dry as well but no luck so far. Any suggestions gratefully received. He is a work in progress! Your dog looks so like Rufus!

Offline jujuli

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
Thank you for your feedback.  I am tempted to start trying as I would be willing to take the time and effort to give the coat king a go if I thought it would make some improvement, even if it takes a bit of time.  I think I shall invest in one now.  Good luck with the salmon oil, Im not sure if charlie goes like that, it is quite soft after being brushed and fairly shiny, just quite thick and fluffy.  Sorry, I have no suggestions for Rufus' coat.