Author Topic: What to do with the skirt?  (Read 710 times)

Offline SusieY

What to do with the skirt?
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
When the breeder used to clip Barney she followed his line when she cut his skirt (this is how she described it) and I've been trying to do the same

Because of the hot weather I've been thinning him out quite a bit but am not sure what to do with the skirt area.  It's quite thick (he's been neutered) and tends to get matted.  I use a coat king and thinning scissors but am a bit reluctant to run the coat king down his skirt in case it cuts it all off.  I think the breeder used to use the coat king on his underneath with her husband holding him up.  OH has just had a hip replacement so we're not able to do that at the moment and I know he won't just roll over and let me do it.

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Sue

Offline devondumpling

• Site Member
    • www.gwbertcockerspaniels.co.uk
Re: What to do with the skirt?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
Hi Sue

On a table  - hold up his front legs (paws) high with your left hand so you are looking at his underneath and pull the coat-king downwards through the belly coat with your right and this will thin out the skirt on a neutered dog.

Hope this is some help.

Chris

Offline SusieY

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:11:01 AM »
Thanks Chris - will give that a go

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »
I trim my boys tummy right back, just down the middle. He looks as if he has a full skirt and is nice and cool. ;)
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:30:47 AM »
I trim my boys tummy right back, just down the middle. He looks as if he has a full skirt and is nice and cool. ;)

When we bothered with feathers this is what we used to do too - trim or clip the middle section but leave a bit of skirt at the sides of their belly that blends into the coat running down from their back to their belly. Much much less matting and a happy 'go faster' cocker! I always made the skirt a little higher into their hips to enhance the natural 'waist' of a fit cocker (as you said following their natural line).

Not an easy thing though! Good luck :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x