Author Topic: The difference between coats !  (Read 2202 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
The difference between coats !
« on: June 05, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
Someone posted a question about male and female coats etc. I answered saying the vast difference between Belle and Monty, Belle being very heavy coated (black show type) and Montys coat being finer and easier to manage though slower growing (Golden male show type).
They are groomed professionally every 8 weeks though Monty doesn't really need it doing so often. I use a coat King on them at about 5 weeks in for Belles benefit really, just to keep her from looking straggly. Anyway below is a pic of what I got out of each of their coats, they are both clipped with feathers and skirt left. There is a massive difference.

I think this is usual for their colours but I would be interested to her of anyone elses experience of the different coat types ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: The difference between coats !
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
I have a gold who has lots of coat so I think it may be the lines they come from rather than the colour.    However do know of other people posting about their golds not having a lot of coat.    :-\

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 05:53:15 PM »
To be honest, I was a little dissapointed when Montys coat was slow growing , but now I prefer his coat to Belles, its so easy to manage but he still has a skirt and feathers which flow nicer than Belles as they are not so thick, does that make sense. I would probably be frustrated if I was showing him but as his knots so much less than Belles if I were showing him his show coat would be easier to keep than Belles.
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »
To be honest, I was a little dissapointed when Montys coat was slow growing , but now I prefer his coat to Belles, its so easy to manage but he still has a skirt and feathers which flow nicer than Belles as they are not so thick, does that make sense. I would probably be frustrated if I was showing him but as his knots so much less than Belles if I were showing him his show coat would be easier to keep than Belles.

I know what you mean, its a different texture as well - Quinn's grows fast as well being an easier coat.  Indie even before she was spayed was really thick and matted easy, the tan parts were the worst as that was completely different to the black bits.    Now she's spayed, its awful and woolly.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
Quinns coat sounds ideal, soft and silky and quick growing ;) Belles is fast growing but thick and has masses of under coat so it grows outwards, her head especially gets out of shape really quickly , while Monty remains sleek looking for so much longer. But I am really surprised there is such a difference between the 2 coats with them both being solids too.
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »
Hehehehe Loving this thread as it's perfect for me to answer having Monty's 1/2 brother, Tally (same Daddy) and Quinn's full brother Dru.  ;) As you know Tally lacks coat, but he is a deep red colour not a gold. Think it is down to lines, but also that the true reds do tend to suffer the consequences of their gorgeous colour with lack of feathering. On the other hand all Molkaras seem to be VERY hairy, which are Dru's lines, but also blacks are known to be very strong in coat also. Basically i think I'm saying it's a bit of both really and I have first hand experience of both your line and colours.  :shades: :005:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:24:22 PM »
Is Tallys coat silkier than Drus Sarah? Which coat do you prefer or would you like a mix of the both like Quinn appears to have as that to me sounds like the best of both worlds ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »
Is Tallys coat silkier than Drus Sarah? Which coat do you prefer or would you like a mix of the both like Quinn appears to have as that to me sounds like the best of both worlds ;)

Tallys is finer, but I wouldn't say silkier as such. Dru still has some puppy coat too. His coat is straighter than Tally's who has a slight wave in his. Dru's is as straight as a dye. They are both hard work in their own way really. It's hard to make something of Tally's coat sometimes as there's not much to play with, but Dru's is hard work as there's sooo much of it and really thick, so almost to much to work with.  :shades: :005: Although really I do find it easier to make something of more coat than less. I do always say a mix between the 2 would be perfect, although I love both my boys just the way they are really.  ;) :luv: :luv:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 06:48:33 PM »
I always loved the fact that Belle had such a profuse coat, until we had Monty , now I think she just has too much :005: :005: What I am lucky with though is that their coats are always so glossy without that much attention from me ph34r I groom them every other day but I never bath them anymore they are bathed every 8 weeks when they go to the groomer and manage to stay amazingly clean and shiny in between, I always get comments like , 'it must take you ages to get them so lovely' etc etc,and I agree with them ph34r but I am a big fraud as it doesn't :005: :005:
In my sig pic Monty is 5 weeks post groom and still looks squeeky clean ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
Hehehehe Loving this thread as it's perfect for me to answer having Monty's 1/2 brother, Tally (same Daddy) and Quinn's full brother Dru.  ;) As you know Tally lacks coat, but he is a deep red colour not a gold. Think it is down to lines, but also that the true reds do tend to suffer the consequences of their gorgeous colour with lack of feathering. On the other hand all Molkaras seem to be VERY hairy, which are Dru's lines, but also blacks are known to be very strong in coat also. Basically i think I'm saying it's a bit of both really and I have first hand experience of both your line and colours.  :shades: :005:

I didn't realise Monty was related to Tally, there's got to be something in the lines then as opposed to all gold coats the same.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 06:53:35 PM »
Ahhh See I think Tally shows up the dirt etc more than Dru because of his colour and his lack of coat. I don't have to do to much to Tally these days as long as I keep on top of it, but Dru's is a daily battle.  :shades: :005: I truely wouldn't have either of them any different though. Love them for what they are and both coats have their pro's and con's I think really. The grass is always greener as they say.  ;) :005:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
Yep they have the same Daddy :luv: It must be the lines cos Belles Daddy is Golden but has a thick coat but so does her Mum, Montys Mum was Golden and also had a thick coat, I have only seen a pic of Monty and Tallys Dad so not sure about his coat? Sarah might know?
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
Ahhh See I think Tally shows up the dirt etc more than Dru because of his colour and his lack of coat. I don't have to do to much to Tally these days as long as I keep on top of it, but Dru's is a daily battle.  :shades: :005: I truely wouldn't have either of them any different though. Love them for what they are and both coats have their pro's and con's I think really. The grass is always greener as they say.  ;) :005:
Of course doesn't affect my love for either of them :luv: ;) it just fascinates me how different their coats are within the same breed ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »

I didn't realise Monty was related to Tally, there's got to be something in the lines then as opposed to all gold coats the same.

Yes could well be, but only 1/2 the lines are the same. I have been told about the reds being prone to sparse coat many times as well. I think like I say a mix of both really. Of course lines play a part in it obviously as in our boys,  :shades: but I know dogs from Tallys lines that have plenty of coat, but they are black.  ;)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
Yep they have the same Daddy :luv: It must be the lines cos Belles Daddy is Golden but has a thick coat but so does her Mum, Montys Mum was Golden and also had a thick coat, I have only seen a pic of Monty and Tallys Dad so not sure about his coat? Sarah might know?

Quinn's parents were both black, wonder if that changes things   :-\