Author Topic: How often do you bath your cocker?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline karen488

How often do you bath your cocker?
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:08 AM »
Darcey is 5 months. I was aiming for weekly but it's more like every 2-3 weeks. A lot of dirt comes out. She is sooooo soft after :luv: :luv:. Just wondering if this is too much as someone told me they only bathed their lab twice a year???? :huh:

Offline maggieann

Re: How often do you bath your cocker?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
Torin is a poop roller so he has to suffer getting bits of him washed almost daily  - he gets a proper bath every ten weeks.
My last Cocker was very clean in his habits, therefore he hardly ever got bathed - but we do get lots of rain up here, which helps keep the dogs clean. :005:
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:49:53 AM »
Mine get bathed when they are clipped - usually 8-10 weeks, sometimes more often if they've rolled in something smelly.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »
William gets bathed every couple of months or so and stays quite clean and fragrant in between, but Louis is bathed more frequently because he's such a minger  :005: and I'm showing him occasionally so he has to be squeaky clean then.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »
Freya has only ever had two baths. She is nearly two  :embarassed: :005: She goes in the sea at least once a day which does the job for me  :005:

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
Sonny has baths when he needs them, generally if he's rolled in poo or had a particularly muddy day in the woods, he smells of dog in between but he's not excessively stinky. I do love how soft his coat feels after a bath but I feel terribly put out the first time he gets mucky afterwards ph34r

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »
Morgan gets very muddy on his walks so he often needs showering off (water only) afterwards. He only gets a proper shampooing every 8 weeks to coincide with his regular trim and tidy up.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
Mine get bathed when they are clipped - usually 8-10 weeks, sometimes more often if they've rolled in something smelly.
Same here only I don't have poo rollers thankfully so I personally never bath them. They stay amazingly clean and glossy so I think its best for their coats not to be stripped of their natural oils too often, I also use Groomers evening primrose grooming spray on them a few times a week which helps ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline black taz

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
Mine get bathed as they need it.  Taz (cocker) more often than Kira (Lab) but that because he tends to rolls in smelly things.  I have had Kira about 18 months and i have only bathed her a couple of times.  However, they both had to have a bath on saturday as they found a scanky pond! >:D

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
Mine are only bathed when they go to the groomer (unless anything smelly happens in between).

I do, however, get them on the grooming table a couple of times each week to give them all a good brush through, and I spray them with a nice smelly doggie spray.  Luis loves his grooming time..............they all fuss to go first.  :005: :005:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »
Odie has one every 8 weeks or so, sooner if he's found a particularly muddy puddle or rolled in something unpleasant (which is rare thankfully).  He's not a dirty/smelly dog in general but when it's wet and muddy outside, I'll wash his paws as we've got cream carpets :shades:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
When they start to make my house smell doggie  ph34r

Though because Sally goes to the groomer every now and again for a cut she gets a bonus one then if she stinks or not  :lol2:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Miadanu

• Donator
  • Merlin
    • COL Sussex Meetups Information Thread
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
At the moment twice a week as he has a sore face so is on anti-biotics and washing with hibiscrub then groomers epo shampoo (also have the spray).

Before this about every 3-4 weeks to keep him used to it. He gets a full brush through daily which keeps his coat in good condition.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
It depends if any of them have rolled in something disgusting  :-\  the usual culprits are Alfie & Nina & occasionally Jo Jo  :P  So far Georgia has never rolled in anything, so keeping my fingers crossed with her.  :luv:
Normal circumstances though i would say about every 4/5 weeks.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »
Haha from the replies so far Freya is the least bathed dog  :005: ph34r She doesnt smell doggy at all though and her skin is beautifully clear after being in the sea. I'd recommend it as the easy (lazy) option  :005: