Author Topic: Hand stripping question  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
Hand stripping question
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:41:42 PM »
I would like to have a go at hand stripping Ollie.  I have used the comb and elastic band and it has got rid of all his puppy fur but I am now left with the fur on his back which his about 3" long all over.  How long will his fur be when the hand stripping is complete. I am new to all this so would be grateful for any advice.  Ollie is 11 months old, black show cocker. 

Offline ebony girl

Re: Hand stripping question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
have no advice im afraid but am gonna be interested in this thread as it was gonna be my next posted question also  ;)....lets hope some experts come along soon and give us some advice x

Offline louisedi

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:21:55 PM »
The cocker spaniel club, do a booklet on grooming cockers, there is also a dvd on grooming the cocker spaniel, if you are able to go and  watch a groomer hand stripp its worth a visit, as there is a knack!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:02:32 PM »
I would like to have a go at hand stripping Ollie.  I have used the comb and elastic band and it has got rid of all his puppy fur but I am now left with the fur on his back which his about 3" long all over.  How long will his fur be when the hand stripping is complete. I am new to all this so would be grateful for any advice.  Ollie is 11 months old, black show cocker.  

Perhaps you could post a photo of Ollie so we can get an idea of how far you've got? Hand stripping doesn't shorten the hair as such - it removes all the excess, dead puppy fluff hopefully leaving a nice flat coat once finished (not that hand stripping is ever really finished, more like a constant work in progress, specially on a black :D)
Jane

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »
Will get back to you with a photo, glad I'm not the only one not knowing what I should be doing!

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »

Will try again with the photo!!

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
The best photo I could get as he does not stand still long enough, hope you can give some advice.

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
To my untrained eye it looks like he still has some more to be stripped out - I've recently had Sonny handstripped by a groomer, he's 10.5 months old and a black show-type, I had done some myself with a comb and elastic band and a little coat king type comb but really needed a professional to finish off all the bits I couldn't quite get right.

He never seems to look dramatically different after stripping but looking at photo's from a few weeks ago I can see that his back looks a lot smoother and shorter now, I think it's a case of doing a bit at a time and eventually it looks the way you want. I found this video which really helped me to get started, there are more of the same lady & dog that show how to do the head and paws/legs http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Hand-strip-the-Back---English-Cocker-Spaniel-198452781

I have also been given a stripping stone which seems to work really well, it looks a bit like a pumice stone, you just sort of stroke the dog with it and lots of fur comes flying out!

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
Thanks for your reply curly locks.  I did think he needed more stripped out but wondered how long his back fur would be when he was finished.  I know it's an on-going job but just wanted to know what I am aiming for.  I don't intend showing him but wanted him to look tidy without being clipped.  I haven't been able to find a groomer who knows how to strip a cocker, so have been having his feet and feathers tidied up but have not let her touch his back in the hope I could master the technique of hand stripping.  I will have a look at the video you suggest.  Could you possibly put a photo of Sonny on here so I can have a look at what I am aiming for.  Many thanks

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »
This is before he saw the groomer

and this is after (he looks a bit scruffy because he hasn't been brushed for a few days)

I hope the difference shows on the photo's - it's almost impossible to get him to stand still :005: I'm not sure the hair looks shorter just a lot thinner and less bushy so it sits flatter. I can still pull hair out from his back quite easily now, I think with a black cocker it really is an ongoing thing. I too struggled to find a groomer who would handstrip but thanks to COL I managed to find one, although I did have to travel a bit to get to her. I think that now he's had the basics done I can keep up with the rest myself - I recently met a very nice couple who used to show cockers and have offered to teach me how to trim & strip him, hopefully I won't do too badly.

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »
Yes, I can see the difference, what a lovely boy.  If I could get Ollie looking as good as Sonny I'd be really pleased.  Love the shiney coat too.  Thanks for posting your photos I will have another go tomorrow, I looked at the video, she makes it look so easy!

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
Hi Terri, just wondered how you're getting on with Ollie's coat?