Author Topic: what age can a pup be clipped  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
what age can a pup be clipped
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
I've had Wispa trimmed by a lady who shows her cockers as I was thinking of showing Wispa at some time in the future and I didn't want to risk making  a mess of her coat myself.  Wispa is going back there on July 7th. She still has very curly hair and it's not looking like it wants to or is showing any signs of coming out when i try to twease it away.

I am now possiibly thinking of not showing her (not sure if I would have a clue as to what I am supposed to be doing anyway) so was thinking of getting her clipped. She is 6mths old.

Is this a good time to get it done or should I wait till her puppy coat has gone. Part of the reason for wanting it clipped is that she seems so hot when the suns out and pants such a lot i feel cruel keeping it long. Also in a caravan it would be easier to manage I would imagine when she gets wet.

What do you all think? thanks in advance.

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
Re: what age can a pup be clipped
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
It's your decision but I wouldn't do anything until her fur is ready to handstrip. If you clip now there is a chance that her coat can't be handstriped anymore.
You can try to comb her with a comb and a rubber band waved between it, like this:

and then brush her back

It can take a while before her coat is ready for handstripping Saartje was 9 months and Teun was 8 month before I could hadstripe them, not a of the coat was ready at that time, some part took until they where 1,5 years old (front of the legs)
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
ah thanks, I will wait then as don't want to ruin her coat for the future. Thanks for the pic of the comb with rubber  band too, very helpful  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
I am now possiibly thinking of not showing her (not sure if I would have a clue as to what I am supposed to be doing anyway) so was thinking of getting her clipped. She is 6mths old

Not sure about the grooming questions - but if you do want to show her and you're not sure how to go about it, may I recommend that you find out about Ringcraft (?) training - then you can see if it is something you want to go ahead with or not. You would probably get some more hands-on advise on her coat too (not belittling in any way COL advise btw)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:09:58 AM »
have decided  not to show Wispa and have had her clipped. Sorry if this went against advice on here but in reality,
our lifestyle is such that it seemed the best thing to do. She is so much happier and not suffering quite so much with the heat
which was getting to be quite troublesome for her I think bless her. Pics on the puppy page. thanks for your advice it was appreciated
and I did really think about it.

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:14:26 AM »
Best advice I can give, as a person who used to groom for a living, is to take your dog into the grooming salon at an early age. Even if you don't want to have anything done, it is good to get him/her used to going in, hearing the sound  of the driers and stuff. It will  boost their confidence for when the time comes that they do need to be clipped. Most good groomers will be more than happy to do this for you.  :luv: