Author Topic: Urgent help - creosote!  (Read 711 times)

Offline hanandhen

Urgent help - creosote!
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:27:52 PM »
Help! Henry has got creosote in his paw fur! We were walking at lunchtime, and as it was hot, he pu his paws onto a fence so he could reach through and drink out of one of the troughs (I work for a horse charity, we walk around the paddocks). Unfortunately because it was so hot, the fence was weeping melted creosote stuff, and he plopped his paw right into a big patch of the dratted stuff :doh:

I've cut most of the fur back, but there is some on his pads too. How can I get it off?!

Ridiculous creature, how does he do these things!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Urgent help - creosote!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »
Ok so I know its not specifically for cocker paws  ;) but might work:

Treat the area with an oil-based substance. Many things will work such as lard, WD-40, butter, chicken fat or olive oil. All of these will combine with the creosote allowing it to lift off the fabric with a clean rag. Wipe in one direction with a lifting motion so as not to smear it into a larger area

it does work on clothes so keeping fingers crossed it will help on cockers and it can't do any harm (apart from the WD 40 obviously  :005:)

good luck  :D

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
Ok so I know its not specifically for cocker paws  ;) but might work:

Treat the area with an oil-based substance. Many things will work such as lard, WD-40, butter, chicken fat or olive oil. All of these will combine with the creosote allowing it to lift off the fabric with a clean rag. Wipe in one direction with a lifting motion so as not to smear it into a larger area

it does work on clothes so keeping fingers crossed it will help on cockers and it can't do any harm (apart from the WD 40 obviously  :005:)

good luck  :D

Very good; I thought you must be from my generation  :shades:   I thought only "us oldies" know this sort of remedy  ;) :D   Hope it still works :rofl1: :clapping: Julie.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
OK, I'll let you know how I get on with some olive oil! Thanks :blink:

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »
Well, that's got the majority of it out - thanks for the tip! Honestly, what am I going to do with him :lol2:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:57:37 AM »
Glad it worked  :D the things these cocker boys do..... :luv: