Author Topic: Very bad grooming experience....  (Read 4229 times)

Offline mandyg

Very bad grooming experience....
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »
Hi everyone, I very rarely post on here but I do get lots of really useful info, so thank you for that.  Just wondered if anyone could tell me if this is normal practice;

I took Ruby to be groomed yesterday.  She hasnt been done for about three months as the lady I normally take her to has moved away and I've been trying to find someone else.  Normally, I would take her and they would ask me what I want done and I would say just to "generally tidy her up" - you know, all the usual stuff.  Depending on the time of year, they would ask do I want the coat long or short - meaning along her back and legs (sorry, dont know the technical term for this!) and in summer I would say short and in winter a bit longer.  Anyway, I have taken her to this particular groomer about 18 months ago and she was fine, she came back trimmed and tidy which is just what I wanted.  This time, I took her in and the lady was chatting to someone so she just kind of looked at me and said "Hi" and took Ruby's lead off me (I should point out that Ruby is TERRIFIED of leaving me and hates the groomers).  I wanted to explain how distressed Ruby gets, but she was obviously in a hurry to get back to her conversation so she just said "how do you want her".  I told her that she hadnt been groomed for a few months for various reasons, and to please excuse the fact that she had chunks cut out of her coat as I'd attempted to cut out some tats myself.  She isnt a show dog, so it wasnt a problem.  She very quickly said "so you just want it short?" to which I replied "yes" thinking she meant her back and legs.  Then she asked how I wanted the top of her head as Ruby's hair has always been long and floppy there.  I told her to leave that a bit longer and she asked about the ears, again I said I liked it a bit longer (she has gorgeous golden curls) but would she cut the hair under her tail quite short so it doesnt land in her wees (sorry!).  She said that was fine and it would be a couple of hours.

When I went back, I could not believe my eyes.  Ruby looks like a sheared sheep.  I dont know how else to describe her, but I will attempt to put a photo on (not very technical, sorry).  She looks like I would imagine a dog would look if it was flea infested and needed to be cut right back to the skin.  There is no evidence of the skirty bit at all and her legs have been cut back so short I can see the tendons!   I was really shocked and just paid my money and left.  I was so upset and rang my mum to tell her what had happened and she rang the groomers who said "she said she wanted it short!".  Is this what I should have expected?  I would have thought the only way she should be cut so severely is if I had said "take everything off right back as far as you can".   If she thought this is what I wanted, why would she ask how long I wanted the ears and head? 

I am so upset, I am ashamed to say that she looks so different, I had suspicions that she had given me the wrong dog!  Ruby is clearly traumatised as she has literally been shaved from head to toe!

If this is normal practice, then I have learned a very valuable lesson, but I would just like your very experience opinions about this.

Thank you and sorry this is so long.

Mandy and (a very quiet and traumatised) Ruby x

Offline ebony girl

Re: Very bad grooming experience....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
awwww poor ruby and poor you......

i dont understand why your groomer has clipped her right back either with the instructions you gave but on the plus side she will be nice and cool when our summer finally arrives and the hair does grow back very quickly.......

give ruby a massive hugs from us
lucy, ebony and gypsy x

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
Im really sorry to hear about poor Rubys grooming experience.

The same happened to my border collie. She was 12 years old and I took her to the groomers as she was very long haired and had very bad hip and back problems and she hated being put into the shower and then hair dryed and so off to the groomers she went. The lady asked what I wanted and I said "general tidy up and a bit shorter"....

well....like Ruby, Jess had been shaved all over, except for her "poodle"cut tail....I too paid and was mortified. I was so upset I cried all the way home. I didnt ring up to complain as I was so upset and at the end of the day I decided I wouldnt go back there anyway and the fur would eventually grow back!

We thankfully found a lovely groomer who loved Jess and Jess loved going there (hated the other place) and after discussing what happened the new groomer always said "does Jess want the "poodle" cut or the "Jess" cut?!! Always made us laugh thereafter  :lol2:

I truely hope others can come along and give you further advice but thought Id let you know you are not alone in your dog being shaven  >:(
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
Been there  >:D  All I can suggest is that when you take her to be groomed again, specifically say that you want the skirt and feathering left and what length you would like it. Two of mine went in to be clipped in a show trim and came out scalped - I could have cried! Poor Ruby - but it does grow back quickly :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »
Im wondering if it would be worth while taking a pic of a cut you like and want done on Ruby...I was thinking of doing this with Freya...at least the groomer would have something visual to look at??
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
Oh Mandy, I'm so sorry. Poor Ruby. That's really horrible. It will grow back thank goodness so try not to worry too much about that side of things.

I can well and truly sympathise. We had exactly the same many years ago with our last cocker and I was in total shock when I collected her.

Why not have a go yourself next time? It might even build up Ruby's confidence with the whole grooming thing. There is loads of grooming advice here on COL. Since we've had Maisie I've not plucked up the courage to trust anyone else near her with a pair of scissors. Grooming was what drew me to COL initially. I don't show her but I took all the advice I could from the forum, bought myself some scissors, thinners etc and started doing it at my own pace, little at a time with COL open on the computer next to me for reference :lol2:. I'm a complete beginner but we get by and Maisie now loves the extra together time while we are doing it.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
Oh dear. sounds like her interpretation of short is to clip it all off  :-\

You really need to spell  out exactly what you do want, i.e feathering and skirt left at a certain length.
Maybe she thought with you asking to clip the back end short you would be having it all short.
Take a picture next time you go to a groomer and then there shouldn't be any mistakes.

I know they can look awful when it's all clipped off but it will grow back.

She really should have paid more attention to you than gossiping.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
I totally sympathise, My Ruby has been scalped by a local groomer too  :'(

I'm waiting for her to grow it back, I'm sure it will , but my Roobs has even been been left with one eyebrow  ph34r >:D

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Hope your Ruby is looking like her usual self soon
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline mandyg

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Thank you all so much for all of your advice and for sharing similar experiences.  I feel soooo guilty, I just assumed a professional groomer wouldnt dream of scalping her!  Wont make that mistake again.  :D  I think what made it worse was her attitude when I spoke to her.  I told her I really wasnt happy with the cut and that I didnt expect Ruby to be "shaved" and she shouted back at me "get over it - it'll grow back" then put the phone down on me.  (My husband then rang and had a few "stern words" with her >:( !  mainly because she had upset me so much, but also because when my seven year old saw Ruby he burst into tears!)

I might have a go at grooming her myself - she doesnt mind me getting right into the nooks and crannies as long as there's a treat waiting for her.  She sometimes gets really tangled under her arms from the harness so cutting chunks of hair has become a regular thing.  At least I wont have to do that for a while.  ;)

Again, thank you very much, I feel a bit better about the whole experience now.  On the plus side for Ruby, every time I see her she's gets a cuddly and tummy rub and so many kisses that I thnk she's actually started avoiding me.  :luv:

Mandy & Ruby

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
Thank you all so much for all of your advice and for sharing similar experiences.  I feel soooo guilty, I just assumed a professional groomer wouldnt dream of scalping her!  Wont make that mistake again.  :D  I think what made it worse was her attitude when I spoke to her.  I told her I really wasnt happy with the cut and that I didnt expect Ruby to be "shaved" and she shouted back at me "get over it - it'll grow back" then put the phone down on me.  (My husband then rang and had a few "stern words" with her >:( !  mainly because she had upset me so much, but also because when my seven year old saw Ruby he burst into tears!)

I might have a go at grooming her myself - she doesnt mind me getting right into the nooks and crannies as long as there's a treat waiting for her.  She sometimes gets really tangled under her arms from the harness so cutting chunks of hair has become a regular thing.  At least I wont have to do that for a while.  ;)

Again, thank you very much, I feel a bit better about the whole experience now.  On the plus side for Ruby, every time I see her she's gets a cuddly and tummy rub and so many kisses that I thnk she's actually started avoiding me.  :luv:

Mandy & Ruby

Go girl!  You're so lucky if Ruby doesn't mind you getting in the nooks and crannies already, treats or no treats. I wait until the evening sit on my lap to attempt any hidden armpit tangles on Maisie ..she dozes off and I slide in to nab them quickly :lol2:

FWIW, I think the groomers attitude is totally unacceptable in the circumstances. Whatever your business, if you place any value on your reputation and clients you would'nt behave in that manner.

Offline mandyg

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »
I tend to try to get Ruby's when she's had a bath and they are easier to find.  I have to be quite sneaky though, 'cause as soon as she hears the drawer open with the scissors in, she legs it!  If I can sneak the scissors out and get started before she notices, its not a problem.  I swear she's psychic! ph34r

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »
I tend to try to get Ruby's when she's had a bath and they are easier to find.  I have to be quite sneaky though, 'cause as soon as she hears the drawer open with the scissors in, she legs it!  If I can sneak the scissors out and get started before she notices, its not a problem.  I swear she's psychic! ph34r

:lol2:  :005:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
Totally understand your pain - I have had a similar bad experience at the groomer the first time I took Misha as a puppy.  Purposely chose this particular groomer as they said that they hand stripped and she'd been recommended by a few other cocker owners.  Went to pick her up to find that she'd been clipped, because the groomer felt that she wasn't suitable for hand stripping. What a cheek, wasn't her decision to make.  Was fuming as at the time Misha was unspayed and I wanted to see if she would have a lovely show coat even if it was only for a short time.  She wasn't even clipped that well either.  Like you I just paid my money and left.  It did grow back ok but it made me highly suspicious of groomers after that.

Do it myself now, and would recommend it.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:38:44 PM »
Oh dear poor Ruby

I'm wondering whether any of the owners on here who breed /groom themselves have any pictures they could upload which show different cut

i.e. short with feathering left on legs/ears etc
or show style basically a trim with skirt and ears still there
or a allover for those who are not fussed about feathering or because their pooches are always in water mud etc

Then we could print them off to show groomers!

I have to admit that would be reluctant to get Hector down - I give him a trim every so often myself and cut out knots if they appear because I have missed a few days brushing!

It will grow back and fortunately it is summer (I think!)

Offline mandyg

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »
I know, at least its not the middle of winter!  Hubby has just taken her out and when I put the harness on her it was massive!  So of course I promptly burst into tears again!  :embarassed:

I know it will grow back, but it was a shock and I have definitely learned my lesson. 

Thanks everyone for the advice  :D