Author Topic: Very bad grooming experience....  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: Very bad grooming experience....
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »
I have just had the same problem with Dexter  :o
A couple of weeks ago he got a grass seed in his ear.  I thought I had managed to remove it all, but after 2 days of him scratching and yelping when he touched his ear I guessed I hadn't so we took him to the vet.  It cost £200 to have it removed under sedation.
So we took him to the groomer last Saturday as planned and asked for him to be cut shorter to prevent the grass seeds.  When I went back to collect him, he had been scalped!
If you imagine he looked like a fluffy Bichon Frise when I dropped him off (he is a cavalier x poodle) and when I collected him, he was as short haired as a lab you can see what I mean!! We had to alter his collar by about 1 1/2 inches round his neck.
I am getting used to it gradually, but he looks like a totally different dog  :'(

Still, it will grow back and at least the weather is quite nice at the moment - but next time I will ensure I explain exactly what I want!!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline tyler.t

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
Hi to everyone,I am new to this forum and this is my 1st post,I  have been grooming professionally for 30 years now,I would never clip any dog down that close unless it was completly matted even then I would try to save some feathering, seems to be the thing these days with some groomers easier to clip everything off rather than leave a more balanced look and a bit of style.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
Hi to everyone,I am new to this forum and this is my 1st post,I  have been grooming professionally for 30 years now,I would never clip any dog down that close unless it was completly matted even then I would try to save some feathering, seems to be the thing these days with some groomers easier to clip everything off rather than leave a more balanced look and a bit of style.

Totally agree. Clipper happy groomers I call them.  :shades: So sorry you've had this bad experience. Sometimes it can be hard to determine a customers wishes, but this is why I personally discuss it at great length with each and every customer every time they come in to make sure we're on the same page. I also keep cards of notes for each customer and have a sheet that they sign each time which has the details of groom and if they have any health probs etc to determine that the dog is fit to be groomed. I hate clip offs and often attempt to talk customers out of it explaining the look and affect to the hair, but some do insist and some there is little choice unfortunatly the coat is in such a bad state. I would agree with taking a picture and making 100% sure you're happy she understands your wishes. Maybe wright it down in a note for her to refure too. When I do a clip leaving feathering etc I call it a show type clip. Such a shame if she had just taken the time to talk to you this possibly could have been avoided. On the up side it's hair and will grow back. Before you know it she'll be looking more like herself I promise.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 10:03:28 PM »
I think as much as anything with an experience such as this - it knocks your confidence for next time and that ultimately affects the dog.

I do feel some groomers can be a bit like over zealous scissor-happy hairdressers who always feel they know best and take not a lot of notice regarding their customers wishes.

Hope Ruby is ok soon.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 10:07:11 PM »
I can sympathise with you, took Bella 2 years ago for a good scrub and fur on legs and paws trimming when i got there the 'groomer' had clipped the back of Bella's neck and half her back, it wasn't as she needed anything doing as she's a sleek worker type, what she had done was uneven, she'd obviously tried to do top of legs as there were tram lines from clippers in her fur. The furs grown back but it is coarser.
I haven't taken her to a 'groomer' in the last two years until this week, I spent 3 hours worrying and when I went and collected her I was so chuffed I've never seen her looking so clean and tidy.
Don't worry the fur will grow back and you'll find a good groomer

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 10:28:37 PM »
Feel so sorry to read some of the tales of woe on here. What a lot of people don't realise is that anyone can set up in business as a groomer - they don't need any special qualifications, often they don't even bother to go on a grooming course, just read a few books, buy a set of clippers and scalp the lot! I say this from experience, having groomed for many years and having had my own business. There are a lot of people grooming who don't take the trouble to understand the breed, gain knowledge of how the breed should be clipped, and wouldn't know how to use a pair of grooming scissors properly if they jumped up and bit them!
A good groomer will get to know your dog, listen to how you would like your dog to be clipped/scissored etc, and act on those instructions. In the past, I have often been asked to clip dogs who I knew would look absolutely ridiculous, and have discussed compromises such as scissoring, etc. If I thought that what the client asked me to do would not look good, I would not do it, even if it meant losing business, because at the end of the day, a groomer's work - and reputation - is judged by results. The girl who took over when I gave up grooming is a case in point. I have seen some shocking examples of her 'work' and just feel really sad for the owners who pay out good money to see their dogs come back scalped. Best advice I can give is ask around, ask other dog owners for their recommendations and if you are not happy, get yourself a good grooming book, a pair of clippers and a decent pair of scissors and have a go yourself. Aside from the benefits of paying out for equipment that you can use over and over, it will also strengthen the bond between you and your dog.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »
From Williamsmum
What a lot of people don't realise is that anyone can set up in business as a groomer - they don't need any special qualifications, often they don't even bother to go on a grooming course, just read a few books, buy a set of clippers and scalp the lot!

Blimey - that is a scary comment  :o
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline mandyg

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »
Thanks again everyone - still cant believe how short her coat is - there isnt a single bit of it more than a centimetre long.  Managed to post a couple of photos onto my facebook and had about 50 people commenting on how they couldnt believe how short she is.  :-\  (Althought they did all say that she still looks beautiful  :luv:)

I think the thing that probably shocked me the most was the groomer's attitude.  If she had apologised like she meant it and wasn't trying to blame the whole thing on me, I'd have felt much better about it and left it at that, but as it was, the way she spoke to us - like we were making a fuss about nothing - really added to the horrible experience.  I think she is an experienced groomer, her shop has been there for at least five years, and I have used her in the past (albeit a couple of years ago) but I think on this occasion she just didnt have the time or the inclination to discuss what I wanted and I think maybe she realised this and that she had cut Ruby far too short, and thats why she was so defensive.  Its a shame for her really as a LOT of my friends have dogs and have all vowed not to go back to her.  Her loss, which could have easily been avoided.  :-\

Anyway, Ruby seems happy enough, back to her normal nutty gorgeous self, so I think I need to stop dwelling on it and start looking foward to her lovely "golden fleece" growing back.  :D

Thanks again everyone

Ruby & Mandy

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
From Williamsmum
What a lot of people don't realise is that anyone can set up in business as a groomer - they don't need any special qualifications, often they don't even bother to go on a grooming course, just read a few books, buy a set of clippers and scalp the lot!

Blimey - that is a scary comment  :o
Yes, and sadly very true. You only have to look around to see examples of very badly groomed dogs. Not saying that all good groomers should have a list of qualifications - there are loads of groomers that don't, myself included. But you soon find out which ones are in it purely and simply for the money! I once offered to take one of our local groomers to a seminar I was attending some seventy miles away. Her reply - "Sorry, but I don't really need to learn anything new, thanks!" Couldn't believe it!  >:D

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
Two of mine went in to be clipped in a show trim and came out scalped - I could have cried!

Do you know I think I remember that!  It was a couple of years ago and they were shawn within an inch of their lives and the boys had no modesty left did they.  Poor things.

As for Ruby, to quote everyone else, it will grow back.  I have cried more over the a bad hair cut on the dog that I have for a bad haircut on me.  Big squishes.

Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
I clip/groom my American cocker myself (for the reasons in this thread) and by the looks of it, Skye (English) won't need much done to her. However, I am wondering why groomers don't have pictures available of different cuts so it would be easier for owners to describe what exactely they want and there would be no misunderstandings. Many hair dressers have a book with styles, why not groomers? If I was a groomer, that's what I would have.

Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Amyjo

• Oldies Club
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »
Poor thing. I'm always specific with what the owner wants when I groom. Do they want a show cut/ skirt/ hair left on the ears etc. Personally I love long Cocker ears but I have two on my books whose owners like them to be short all over and I groom them how they want it.
Admin, Events & Deputy Transport Coordinator
Oldies Club http://www.oldies.org.uk

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »
I have to have Indie shaved completely off - it would be nice to have the choice as I hate it but she couldn't grow feathers now if we tried.   

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
Two of mine went in to be clipped in a show trim and came out scalped - I could have cried!

Do you know I think I remember that!  It was a couple of years ago and they were shawn within an inch of their lives and the boys had no modesty left did they.  Poor things.

Indeed  :005:  I think it was at that point that I started to take the clippers home from work and do them myself...figured I couldn't do any worse  :lol2:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 02:37:17 PM »
I have to have Indie shaved completely off - it would be nice to have the choice as I hate it but she couldn't grow feathers now if we tried.    

I actually thought it couldn't get any worse, she has just come back from a new groomer and OMG her ears and tail have been clipped off and she has hobbit feet - obviously no scissors used at all.    I paid for bath, clip, nails and she's only had the clip - no bath and nails not been touched.    >:(