Author Topic: Completely clipped!  (Read 4117 times)

Offline penfold

Re: Completely clipped!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
My 2 were clipped very close following their gloss paint incident about 8 mths ago, they are now back to their former glory and will stay that way, they both have shaved bellys and armpits as this can't be seen but keeps them cooler. I am probably going to ofend loads of Colers now but its my opinion that if you can't cope with the grooming required to look after a heavily coated breed then get a short haired breed. Cockers are beautiful dogs and to see them shaved like sheep makes my heart bleed, fair enough a clip with feather, thats more or less what my 2 get now but to leave no ears or feathers >:( such a shame. (obviously there are cases where its unavoidable)

I agree with you to a certain extent  - I much prefer to see cockers looking like, well, cockers, with at least some feathers.

For the record, my girls get the same as you, feathers intact and a belly/armpit clip 'to let the air ciculate'  ;)   Only have one in full show coat but she is orange roan and her coat is very fine so no great hassle like this.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 10:31:01 AM »
Belle still has a pretty full coat I only have it scissored not clipped, Monty has a much finer coat so gets a long clip once every 3 mths and has all his feathers etc, he has thick fur on his legs, like leg warmers  :005: so they take some work  ;)
I have just been sat here thinking of all the other longer, thick coated breeds that you would not expect to see clipped ,. such as Shelties, Collies, I would imagine those dogs take some brushing and their coat is thick for the summer but you don't see them 'sheared'. I would hate for it to become the norm for Cockers to be clipped without their feathers but I fear thats the way its heading, where I walk I see a fair few Cockers 90% are clipped with very little if any feathering :'(
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline penfold

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
Belle still has a pretty full coat I only have it scissored not clipped, Monty has a much finer coat so gets a long clip once every 3 mths and has all his feathers etc, he has thick fur on his legs, like leg warmers  :005: so they take some work  ;)
I have just been sat here thinking of all the other longer, thick coated breeds that you would not expect to see clipped ,. such as Shelties, Collies, I would imagine those dogs take some brushing and their coat is thick for the summer but you don't see them 'sheared'. I would hate for it to become the norm for Cockers to be clipped without their feathers but I fear thats the way its heading, where I walk I see a fair few Cockers 90% are clipped with very little if any feathering :'(

I grew up with Rough Collies (mum used to breed them) and used to have to groom them as one of my pocket money 'chores'  Believe you me, I would rather groom a handful of rough's rather than one hairy blue roan  :lol2:   :lol2:   Much easier coats to groom, only really hard work when they are fully shedding coats, about a couple of times year. 

My bunch get loads of admiring comments on their coats as, like you, most of the cockers round here and clipped quite severly.

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
aww  :luv: He was very patient!
I love a cocker in full coat and wish Bailey had one :) he has a skin allergy which he seems to handle better when he is shaved.
We tried every way to keep him long but it was unfair on him as he was miserable. He is now shaved with a wee bit of feathering left on his ears to show he is a spaniel!  ph34r He is like a different dog after a cut and runs about like a loony! The one plus is he is very easily dried!  :005:

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 02:40:29 PM »
My 2 were clipped very close following their gloss paint incident about 8 mths ago, they are now back to their former glory and will stay that way, they both have shaved bellys and armpits as this can't be seen but keeps them cooler. I am probably going to ofend loads of Colers now but its my opinion that if you can't cope with the grooming required to look after a heavily coated breed then get a short haired breed. Cockers are beautiful dogs and to see them shaved like sheep makes my heart bleed, fair enough a clip with feather, thats more or less what my 2 get now but to leave no ears or feathers >:( such a shame. (obviously there are cases where its unavoidable)
Totally agree with you ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx

I find that quite offensive - I feel that people who care more about how their dogs look more than anything else shouldn't have any dogs  >:D

Jeff's booked in for his FULL trim on Friday (including ears and feathers), and I know he'll feel far more comfortable afterwards; at the moment he is panting almost constantly in this heat. I have been clipping and trimming him myself the last few months, but he really needs his woolly coat taken off totally at the moment. It's nothing to do with not being able to cope with the grooming. I also think he looks cute with it short. I am very sorry that some COLers take such a shallow view of their dogs, that they get so ridiculously distressed by something as trivial as being clipped, which the dogs don't give two hoots about. I prefer to use my emotional energy ensuring my dogs are comfortable and happy and care about how THEY feel, not how I feel  >:(

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Totally agree with you ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx

I find that quite offensive - I feel that people who care more about how their dogs look more than anything else shouldn't have any dogs  >:D

Jeff's booked in for his FULL trim on Friday (including ears and feathers), and I know he'll feel far more comfortable afterwards; at the moment he is panting almost constantly in this heat. I have been clipping and trimming him myself the last few months, but he really needs his woolly coat taken off totally at the moment. It's nothing to do with not being able to cope with the grooming. I also think he looks cute with it short. I am very sorry that some COLers take such a shallow view of their dogs, that they get so ridiculously distressed by something as trivial as being clipped, which the dogs don't give two hoots about. I prefer to use my emotional energy ensuring my dogs are comfortable and happy and care about how THEY feel, not how I feel  >:(

I think it's because people do care a great deal about their dogs that they care about how they look. I love seeing happy healthy dogs irrespective of coat length in any breed but I also think you have to accept with a breed like a cocker that some may prefer to keep the longer coat and that doesn't mean they don't care about the dog or that coat length is a priority in some way, long or short. ;)

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Alfie is happier in this weather clipped quite short. He is a pet not a show dog so I prefer him to be happier.  I saw lots of dogs at the weekend at our village show some with very long coats, it was boiling hot and I felt very sorry for them. However I do think the video looked a bit extreme, it was difficult to see how short she had gone with it being a light coloured dog though.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »

I think it's because people do care a great deal about their dogs that they care about how they look.

So, because I'm not that bothered about how my dogs look, as long as they are healthy and happy (and I do groom them thoroughly and regularly), then I don't care about my dogs and shouldn't have a cocker? I have cockers because I love their personalities and they are perfect for my lifestyle; I don't want a jack russell or a doberman, or any other short haired breed, not because they aren't nice dogs but because I like cockers more. I just happen to have one cocker who is clearly more comfortable totally clipped in the heat, and to be told that I should rehome them both and get a short haired breed is insulting and upsetting.

I just hope I don't run into any of the people who have this opinion on a COL meet or somewhere, as I would be totally miserable knowing that they were thinking I shouldn't have cockers, and also I wouldn't particularly like to meet people who are so judgemental and shallow  >:(

Offline Ebbysmum

• Donator
  • Lexi 5, Ebony 4, Maddie 1 and Gracie 2
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »
Wish I hadn't posted this now ph34r. I think it is obvious that everyone on here adores their dog, stipped show clipped or completely clipped. My mum has Lexi shaved all over apart from her tail and her ears are kept a bit longer but not as long as Ebony's and she certainly doesn't love her any less. Maddie's coat at the moment is quite fine and straight so we might hand strip her, but if her coat ends up like Ebbys or Lexi's then she will also be clipped. I think I was just shocked to see it soo short especially around the ears, and it was a tutorial.

Please don't be upset I think Jeff is gorgeous :luv:
www.saltdogstudios.co.uk  www.facebook.com/saltdogstudios
Handmade Dog Collars, Leads and Accessories

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 04:26:37 PM »
Sorry Ebbysmum, didn't mean to get all heated under the collar, it just never occurred to me people might think I shouldn't own my dogs because I happen to have one clipped  :o I'm now going to be completely paranoid every time I take them out  ph34r

I will post before and after of Jeff on Friday evening - I would say his cut is pretty much what the dog in the video gets (although I ask for his eyelashes to be left, and will probably leave his tail feathers this time)  ;) He does grow back in the Autumn and is a woolly bear when it's cold again and until the spring.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »

Shelties and Collies do not need the grooming and brushing every single day like cockers, they can get away with being brushed every couple of weeks except in the moulting period where it would be every day.    They have completely different coats and texture to the silky coats of cockers/aghans etc which matt easily.     That may be why you don't see them sheared  ;)

I have one cocker clipped and one in full coat - the one in full coat is entire just like yours  :D      If you ever have them spayed then I hope their coats don't change for you.   

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »

I think it's because people do care a great deal about their dogs that they care about how they look.

So, because I'm not that bothered about how my dogs look, as long as they are healthy and happy (and I do groom them thoroughly and regularly), then I don't care about my dogs and shouldn't have a cocker? I have cockers because I love their personalities and they are perfect for my lifestyle; I don't want a jack russell or a doberman, or any other short haired breed, not because they aren't nice dogs but because I like cockers more. I just happen to have one cocker who is clearly more comfortable totally clipped in the heat, and to be told that I should rehome them both and get a short haired breed is insulting and upsetting.

I just hope I don't run into any of the people who have this opinion on a COL meet or somewhere, as I would be totally miserable knowing that they were thinking I shouldn't have cockers, and also I wouldn't particularly like to meet people who are so judgemental and shallow  >:(

Unfortunately you are misunderstanding me  :-\. What I'm saying is that long or short coat, we care about our dogs, one is not necessarily separate from the other. I don't think anyone should castigate the other for wanting any particular length in a cocker coat as long as the dog is healthy and happy. I'm quite sad actually that you are so upset about it.  :'(

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 04:34:44 PM »
I have 2 cockers.  Max has a woolley coat so heavy and thick.  When the hot weather hit a few weeks ago my mad and I mean mad cocker went to pieces, I've never seen such a miserable cocker.  That face just does it for me.  He was totally clipped (I was a dog groomer in my twenties but decided my back couldn't take it anymore) I had many clients who showed their dogs and pet owners too.

Max was full of life afterwards.  I do groom my dogs but for me Max tells me he's miserable.  George is in a show trim with a clipped back.  He's got a different coat to Max but in time he will have a clipped back/sides.  

I choose cockers because I love the whole package, their expressional faces, their love for life, they are little people, lovely size.  And those cocker kisses:)

I love to see a cocker with a full coat and a good long show trim they take my breath away.  But I don't love them any less when they are clipped off.  I used to call my black and white old boy jack now at the bridge - Snoopy when he was clipped off  :luv: :luv:  He looked gorgeous!!! As does Max now  :luv: and little George in his little trim.  :luv:

I've had requests for Border collies/Labradors/German Shephards/Setters/ you name it I've bet at one time or another I've had a request to do a complete clip.  Now some of those breeds take some getting use to with a complete clip but again the owners felt the dogs couldn't cope with the heat/it suited their lives/time etc but not one of those dogs was loved any less because they didn't keep the coat the norm.  Most were the ladies lives and they knew the dog best what was I to say differently. :D

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »

What I'm saying is that long or short coat, we care about our dogs, one is not necessarily separate from the other. I don't think anyone should castigate the other for wanting any particular length in a cocker coat as long as the dog is healthy and happy. I'm quite sad actually that you are so upset about it.  :'(

Then I totally agree with you  :blink: What upset me wasn't your comment but the one quoted (agreed with by at least one other person) that people who have their cockers clipped shouldn't own a cocker at all, and suggesting that having a cocker clipped means that the owner can't be bothered to groom them.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »
Personally i always try to put myself in the position of " would i want to be forced to wear a big fur coat, wooly hat ,wooly boots all thru summer " the answer is no, i love the hand stripped look of cockers but i would never do that myself, i love cockers intelligence, nature, and generally everything about the breed, having been bred to have a heavy coat i think its my resposibility to make sure MY cockers dont suffer with the heat in the summer and i keep them clipped quite short but leave their ears some feathers skirt and tail longer , its not for my convienience but for their comfort  :blink: :blink:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy