Author Topic: 1st trim......do I get him hand stripped???  (Read 1042 times)

Offline poppy1407

1st trim......do I get him hand stripped???
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
Finn is just turning 5 months and could really do with a tidy up on his feet ears head and under his chin (he has lots of wispy hair), however Im hoping to show him so I cant get him clippered at all. Is he too young to get handstipped or will the groomer just tidy his feet and leave his head and ears till there is more hair???? oooohhh I dont know what to ask for - he is booked in at the groomers tommorrow.. he wont be entered into his first show till november we are allowing time for more feathers to come down on his under carriage  :huh:

here is a pic of him taken yesterday

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: 1st trim......do I get him hand stripped???
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:06 AM »
At 5 months it's unlikely that his puppy coat is ready to come out, so unless your groomer fully understands what a show Cocker's coat should look like it's probably best just to ask her to bath him and tidy his feet up and make it very clear that's all you want.

It seems that some groomers expect Cocker owners to want their dogs clipped partly or fully and from some of the threads on here it looks like misunderstandings happen all too often and owners end up with shaved Cockers. That's not meant to be a general criticism of all groomers, but I think for most their training is more geared towards clipping pet Cockers than show dogs.

Offline poppy1407

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »
At 5 months it's unlikely that his puppy coat is ready to come out, so unless your groomer fully understands what a show Cocker's coat should look like it's probably best just to ask her to bath him and tidy his feet up and make it very clear that's all you want.

It seems that some groomers expect Cocker owners to want their dogs clipped partly or fully and from some of the threads on here it looks like misunderstandings happen all too often and owners end up with shaved Cockers. That's not meant to be a general criticism of all groomers, but I think for most their training is more geared towards clipping pet Cockers than show dogs.

that is exactly what im scared of...retuning to my baby all shaved  :o

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »
Does your breeder offer a grooming service, Belles breeder did her 1st trim at 5 mths she had twice as much fur as Finn  :o She showed me where I could scissor, feet etc where I could use a thinning scissors and how to strip, its a long , process and he will look generally untidy for months to come yet, If you can't get this service from your breeder you need to find a Cocker owner that shows to insruct you or find a Groomer who will be sympathetic to your specific needs ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
I agree with elaine.e just ask the groomer to tidy up his feet, make it absolutely clear that she is not to touch the rest of him under any circumstances.

When we got Morgan I was very determined that he would retain his natural silky coat if at all possible and at about the age of Finn started doing the rounds of local groomers, asking for foot trimming only and quizzing them a bit too. It gave me the opportunity to look at their set-up, cleanliness etc. too.

I was dismayed at what I found. Some wouldn't allow an appt just to tidy his feet and wanted me to book him in for bath and full grooming. Some didn't actually have a very nice manner so we didn't ever go back there. The one we went to eventually was rather nice but when I asked about future handstripping her reply was that she didn't do it, she does loads of cockers and they're all clipped quite close because that's what owners end up choosing. I felt her attitude was a bit "like it or lump it!"

"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline poppy1407

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
thanks for the advice- I called the groomer and asked a bit more questions and they were not up for a foot trim only!!! so appointment is cancelled. I called my breeder she does groom however she lives about 1.5 hours away so she has recommended a fellow cocker breeder who also grooms. I called the other breeder and she is going to have a look at him see what need done- over the phone she said she cant say what he will need done til she see's him in person and examines his coat which will determine if head and ears are ready for stripping xx feel happier about this appointment  :lol2:

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »
thanks for the advice- I called the groomer and asked a bit more questions and they were not up for a foot trim only!!! so appointment is cancelled. I called my breeder she does groom however she lives about 1.5 hours away so she has recommended a fellow cocker breeder who also grooms. I called the other breeder and she is going to have a look at him see what need done- over the phone she said she cant say what he will need done til she see's him in person and examines his coat which will determine if head and ears are ready for stripping xx feel happier about this appointment  :lol2:

Excellent! (I should have added that this was our solution for Morgan too. A COler who breeds and shows does him beautifully for me  :D )
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope