Author Topic: Colours & Coats  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Colours & Coats
« on: December 17, 2002, 12:29:32 PM »
Hi.....just wanted to know the differences in coats and the colour fo your cocker......I already know from previous threads that parti-colours have less feathering/coat than solids....but does this then break down within parti-colours....eg....does a blue roan have more coat than an orange roan etc.
I've noticed Buttons getting some slight feathering appearing on her legs....but not much. She's 14 weeks old now. But I've seen blue roans about the same age and they appear to have much more coat.
Also Mags wee girl Roana is now 5 months old...and has a pair of Knickerbockers and a hat to match ;D
She's not too keen to try trimming or anything herself...at what age could she take her to a professional groomer???                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Colours & Coats
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 01:30:25 PM »
There are lots of variations Gilly - not all solids have heavy coats & some particolours have very heavy coats indeed - a lot depends on the type of coat as well as the colour. A fine, silky coat with dead straight hair will produce less feathering than a coarser textured coat with a slight wave in. It's rare to see a solid gold or an orange with a very heavy coat but they do exist - our Ruby has a very thick coat indeed (at the moment :)) Even with a colour like blue roan, there are lots of variations - some have heavy coats, some don't ;D Livers/chocs also vary - some have fine coats, some have soft, fluffy coats - the soft, fluffy types will tend to have more feathering than the finer coats.

At 5 months, Roana is too young for the puppy coat to be stripped out yet but it might be an idea to have her feet, ears etc tidied up by a groomer. I like to see pups for the first time at about 4-5 months old just for a brief tidy-up session :) Make sure the groomer understands Roana doesn't need clipping at this age - some groomers get the clippers out no matter how young the pup ;D                    
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Colours & Coats
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 05:47:48 PM »
I put Vegas into the groomers at about 5 months. It was really just to keep Brook company as it was a new groomer for him but I asked her to tidy Vegas up a bit. When I dropped them off she asked if I wanted vegas's back clipped.....I think my face went along the lines of  :o. So he got a bath, dried, brushed and feet tidied. I think it was a good experience for him and helped to get him used to grooming in general as now I can comb him for two minutes in a row ;D ;)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Colours & Coats
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 01:31:23 PM »
Livers/chocs also vary - some have fine coats
I think Buttons will fall into this category....tho you never know maybe I'll wake up one morning and she'll have turned into Shirley Temple ;D
Maybe Santa will bring her some feathering for Crimbo...I'll write it on her Christmas list...just in case he forgets ;D                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Colours & Coats
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 01:57:58 PM »
Mags and I have found a local groomer who handstrips...so Roana is going for a wee tidy up at the end of the month....not handstripped just yet tho.....Mags says she looks like a teddy bear ;D