Author Topic: grooming  (Read 701 times)

Offline hollie

grooming
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:11:05 PM »
hi Hollie  is nearly 10 months now has been to the parlour three times , first time they cut her coat back but it was not shave so on her second visit asked just to trim feet ears etc . Her coat is not to long but seems to grow out and its like cotton wool very soft. I  brush her every day to see if i can get puppy coat out also have tried hand stripping a little bit but not really sure how this is done. Hollie needs to be cut again soon but i am so worried about taking her back to groomers as they are quite rude when i say i don't want her coat shaved off,she does not have any matting but i would like any advice about her coat why is it like cotton wool only on her back . Sorry to go on but they did shave her top off which i was cross over as i kept saying don't shave her . 

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Re: grooming
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:15:23 AM »
My advice is try and find a groomer who is used to grooming cockers for a show trim and who is willing to do what you want! Alternatively learn how to do it yourself.

If you clip short then the hair will all be the same length and therefore when it grows back it will be woollier. Is she spayed as this will also affect the coat. If you search under the grooming threads you will find lots of good info.

What you can try is threading an elastic band through the teeth of a comb and then as you comb it will pull out dead/fluffy hair. Coat Kings are also good.

Both my girls are spayed so I use a combination of coatking and thinning scissors.

If you post some photos you may get some more replies  :D
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline merlin

• Amber
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:45:19 PM »
Autumn's coat stayed Cotton woolie with puppy fluff until he was just over a year old, his siblings lost that look months earlier, so it will go eventually. you may need to find a new groomers if they wont do what you want.

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:59:01 PM »
 I found a website that I think is the Cocker spaniel club. (try Google) They sent me a little pamphlet that shows how to strip a show cocker.It would give you an idea how to trim/shape Hollie You could also show it to your groomer and ask them to keep to that shape etc
Spaying did alter Cassie coat and it has never been as good since. I also have her back trimmed quite short (not no 1 !!!!!!) as she feels the heat badly in Summer