Author Topic: How often to shampoo  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Pam501

How often to shampoo
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »
Sorry, I'm a nightmare today!

I think the breeder bathed Toby before I took him home on the 31 August but he is a bit smelly and I just wondered if anyone can let me know how often you are supposed to bath puppies?

Thanks again

Pam

Offline penfold

Re: How often to shampoo
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
As often as they need it  :blink:

So long as you're not doing it every day you'll be fine.  Just remember and use a doggy shampoo, although others also use baby shampoo.

It is good practise for them as well, getting bathed, blown dry and groomed.

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:57:11 AM »
I don't know about puppies but we bath Darcey when she starts to smell or if she's rolled in something nasty!
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
You don't necessarily need to use shampoo in order to freshen him up a bit. He's still little so pop him in the kitchen sink and rinse him off just using water.

Which bits are getting smelly? We found that Morgan was getting smelly as a pup because he was waliking in his wee immediately after doing it  >:( (actually he still does  :005:) so we got him used to lifting his feet for a quick wash now and again. It got him used to having his feet handled too, very useful as so many dogs seem to resent having their feet touched.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline karen488

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »
Think you can shampoo the lower 1/2 more often. I.e legs and you're less likely to dry the coat out.

Offline Pam501

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
Thanks - I think the sink idea is brilliant.  I was going to stick him in the bath this afternoon but think try him in the sink first.  Toby walks in everything!  I think he does most of his wees/poos in the night and when I go into the kitchen first thing in the morning, he doesn't care where he stands! He embarrassed himself in Pets at Home this morning too and pooed in the shop.  Good job I had a poo bag with me :embarassed:

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
When Jasmine was tiny about 8 or 9 weeks old she had a problem with her ears and I had to bathe them everday so I just popped her in the kitchen sink shampooed the bits that needed it and towel dried her on the draining board.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
Milly still fits into the kitchen sink, well, she does when stood up, so she's sometimes lifted in to have her paws, legs and underside washed after walks in the wet or, as sometimes happens, when her pee runs under her paws. :005:

Otherwise she gets bathed once every few weeks, in the shower, using Groomers ebony shampoo.

Offline Pam501

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
Thanks everyone - Toby now has had his feet and legs washed in the sink.  Smells better now :D.  Wasn't too keen on the hairdryer though - it quite upset him :'(.

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
Diesel also hated the hairdryer when he was little - now he doesnt mind it - I used to have to chase him round the room with the hair dryer  :005:
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 12:29:15 PM »
Persevere with the dryer he does need to get used to it  :D

Glad he smells prettier now  :005:

Offline Miadanu

• Donator
  • Merlin
    • COL Sussex Meetups Information Thread
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
I initially drip-fed treats whilst using the dryer and took the slowly slowly approach.  He still doesn't love it but he does put up with it without all the treats now :).  Persevere, it's worth it for a dry dog.