Author Topic: Quick question please *UPDATE*  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Quick question please
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »
Jeanette, just out of curiosity, Indie's coat looked lovely when she was being coat kinged.  Does spaying prevent the coat from being handstripped/coat kinged?  If so is it because after spaying, her coat grew back more thickly and the coat king couldn't do anything.  I don't quite understand why spaying prevents handstipping/coat kinging.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »
Spaying doesn't always change the coat as there are some on here I'm sure who have still managed to coat king, however Indie was a thick coated black/tan  so her coat changed dramatically after spaying and was no longer an option.    It got to the stage where it was difficult to even comb it let alone coat king it.    Thick, woolly and constantly matting was how she ended up.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
What a shame, so if a coat is that thick, only one choice and that's clip it then.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
What a shame, so if a coat is that thick, only one choice and that's clip it then.

Woolly and thick, you'd know if that was the case because you can't do a thing with it.   It was a shame because I liked her with a long coat.

She went from this before coat change

to this which was her first clip as her coat was changing - still with some feathers

to this (all off) :-(

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
Oh what a shame it thickened her coat so much.  In picture 1 her coat is gorgeous.  It's Ok in picture 2 as well.  I can't believe the difference!  But she still looks gorgeous.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Oh what a shame it thickened her coat so much.  In picture 1 her coat is gorgeous.  It's Ok in picture 2 as well.  I can't believe the difference!  But she still looks gorgeous.

Spayed at 10.5 months.    First full clip off, feathers and all was at almost 3 years old, so it didn't happen overnight, it just got worse and worse over time.  

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 09:35:49 PM »
  The only thing I'm a weeny bit worried about though is that it was making like a scratching noise and I'm worried it might have been cutting the top coat. 

You can get them in the bathtub, get the dog all soaped up (or conditioner) and then use the coat king while wet and lathered. I know lots of people who do this, they get tons of coat and the shampoo or conditioner help protect the coat  ;) (Just be sure to us a hair trap or something on the drain!  :P
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »
Glad you got on ok with it ;), I sometimes use Groomers evening primrose oil grooming spray before I use the Mars it smells gorgeous too ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 11:01:53 PM »
Glad you got on ok with it ;), I sometimes use Groomers evening primrose oil grooming spray before I use the Mars it smells gorgeous too ;)

The only thing I'm a weeny bit worried about though is that it was making like a scratching noise and I'm worried it might have been cutting the top coat.

You can get them in the bathtub, get the dog all soaped up (or conditioner) and then use the coat king while wet and lathered. I know lots of people who do this, they get tons of coat and the shampoo or conditioner help protect the coat  ;) (Just be sure to us a hair trap or something on the drain!  :P

Two great tips there, thanks.

Offline Beezzzkneez

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 11:04:01 AM »
Maike has a very short, fine coat (she's a worker and both parents were golden) and she is still very young but I was told by a groomer that her colour would change if she ever got clipped - she has such stunning foxy fur that I'd really hate for that to happen. At what age should I start thinking about grooming her? I do brush her but to be honest she has such a short coat there is nothing to brush (her feathers are coming in now, though  :luv:).
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »
The sooner you can start grooming (brushing, combing etc) the better in order to get them used to it.  I don't know a lot about the working strain except they have finer coats which I don't think need clipping.  There's a 13 month old golden worker that Toby plays with and the only bit of trimming she needs is her feet.  Her coat is very fine and silky and only needs a quick brush.  She has a fair bit of feathering which needs to be combed regularly too.  I think the working coat is much easier to manage than the show coat and I don't think you will ever need to clip her (but someone may correct me if I'm wrong).

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Quick question please *UPDATE*
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 06:22:04 PM »
Hi all, just to let you know I have been using the coat king now for a few weeks.  Yesterday, Toby went to the groomer for a tidy up and I asked her not to clip his back, so she used a coat king on him too.  Have to say his back is looking so much sleeker.  Hopefully it will get even better over time so it's a thumbs up for the coat king from me.  :banana: