Author Topic: Alfie is afraid of the razor!  (Read 620 times)

Offline ksdwgroup

• Alfie Born 20th July 2011
    • Kent Spaniel Dog Walking Group
Alfie is afraid of the razor!
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
Any tips or ideas that has worked for you when it comes to the razor?  Really wanted to groom Alfie myself but he is terrified of the razor.  I managed to coax him to sit still with loads of treats to accept the scissors and trimmed them all fairly nicely but he still has shaggy legs!  My daughters laughed uncontrollable at him poor thing  >:D cos they thought he looked like Mr Tumnus!   He literally bucks like a bucking bronco and barks madly !  I think it is the sound more than anything.  I've even been shaving (pretend) his favourite monkey to show him it's okay  :005:
Debbie Carpenter
Kent Spaniel Dog Walking Group
http://www.meetup.com/dog-walking-groups-spaniels

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Re: Alfie is afraid of the razor!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
Ziggy and Blossom can sympathise with poor Alfie - they too used to be scared of the clippers.  They tolerate them really well now.  They aren't ready yet for me to roll them over to do their armpits but, it will come with patience and training.  Im sure someone will be along to give you some great training tips. In the meantime though I will tell you how I made progress with mine:

I clicked and treated mine for sniffing the clippers when they were off.  I also used to keep them next to me and casually handle them when I was relaxing. Once happy with the presence of the clippers when off, I then slowly introduced the touch of the clippers by stroking my dogs with them while still turned off - alternating strokes between the clippers and my hand.  For mine, the fuss and cuddles was the reward at this stage for calm behaviour.   Next I moved onto switching the clippers on but, away from my dogs and on the lowest/quietest setting.  At this point, I went onto using food rewards as thier motivator again.  I just sat with the clippers running while I watched TV.  It wasn't long before they got used to the noise.  I then upped the anti by casually moving the clippers around a little.  Once comfortable with the movement,  I then reduced the distance of the clippers by moving them closer but, not enough to worry them.

For the next step of touching with the clippers running, I put my dogs on a higher surface.  First though, I went back to clicking for strokes with the clippers off and with the clippers on but, still and away from them. Slowly I moved them forward - clicking and treating.   

Once I was ready to actually use them, I found clicking/ treating difficult. So, I smeared the grooming arm on my table with goodies such as primula cheese/butter/baby food/peanut butter. A touch of the clippers earned a lick of the arm.  Before I bought my grooming table, I used the worktop in the utility room and smeared the treat over the windowsill and the boiler casing ph34r :005:   

Ziggy and Blossom are much better with the clippers now.  The process I've used has taken a lot of time over lots of little sessions but, it has built their trust for grooming.  They need doing again now but, I've not used the clippers for a while. So, I will have to go back to basics myself.
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Evadee

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:51 AM »
Tia has never liked the clippers even though she was introduced to them several times as a young pup, she would stand back and bark at them.  We spent several weeks trying to get her used to them, leaving them lying around, running whilst left on the floor etc.

Have to say it's the only issue we have ever had with her.  I think it's the vibration (have to admit I'm not keen on holding them myself ph34r)

Our groomer scissor trims Tia and does not feel the clippers are needed yet, this may change over time now she has been spayed  :-\

I am reluctant for the clippers to be used until it's really necessary as from what I have read they tend to make the coat even more woolly.

I guess we should have tried for longer and it will very slow progress if we ever find the groomer needs to use them.

Offline ksdwgroup

• Alfie Born 20th July 2011
    • Kent Spaniel Dog Walking Group
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »
I guess it's having extreme patience  :blink: thank you for your replies it really does help knowing others experience the same thing.  I've managed to shape up Alfie's front paws with the scissors so at least he looks a bit more elegant than a shaggy goat!  Will leave off the razor I think until he's a bit older  :blink:
Ziggy and Blossom (signature pic) are beautiful Laura, would love to see a bigger picture 
Debbie Carpenter
Kent Spaniel Dog Walking Group
http://www.meetup.com/dog-walking-groups-spaniels