Author Topic: Coat king advice (again...sorry)  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Coat king advice (again...sorry)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 09:16:44 AM »
I'm glad to see this thread as I had much the same questions as the OP. I hope it's okay to hop on this thread. I was worrying about the Coat King cutting the hairs and it does kind of sound like it does when you're pulling it through, but it seems not from what people have said. The one question I have is this. Fraser is a dark blue roan. When I comb him, the white hairs which are stiffer (coarser?) eventually kind of stick out as they stay long and are not stripped in the same way as the finer black hair is. Is that supposed to happen or is this a flaw in Coat King technique?

The Coat King does cut the coat - it's unavoidable as it's a tool with blades (the teeth). I do use Coat Kings so am not criticising their use (except on show dogs :D) and find they work better on some coats than on others but it's clear when you see the eventual bristly wavy regrowth that some cutting of the coat does happen. I've got an old, blunt Coat King which I prefer to use now as it doesn't cut so much.
Jane

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Coat king advice (again...sorry)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
Neon, Toby is looking gorgeous :luv: :luv:

Thanks Jo but he needs a good tidy up very soon. X

I was worrying about the Coat King cutting the hairs and it does kind of sound like it does when you're pulling it through,

Yes, I noticed that when I first started using it but on Toby's back, where the coat king has been used most, there is no "scratching" noise now, presumably because there is not much fluff left to come out.

The only way to get a perfect coat is to handstrip, but for me the coat king will suffice.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: