Author Topic: To hand strip or clip????  (Read 5724 times)

Offline charlie

• Site Member
To hand strip or clip????
« on: January 02, 2003, 07:03:11 PM »
Hi,

I,m having the usual dilemma, to hand strip or clip. our babe, a blue roan is 71/2 months old and I have just spoken to 2 groomers about her first visit.

The first says she will use a stripping knife on some keeping her adult coat and only removing her pup fluff, hand stripping if possible the rest. This would take a morning and £22.00

The other says if she is ready she will hand strip her all over for a more natural coat, but not if she is too fluffy as that would be unfair on her as the time involved could be too long for her first visit. In which case she will clip her with whatever length blades I want the finish.This would take 2-3 hours for hand strip £45-50 or clipping 1-2 hours for £23.00.

They both sounded lovely and seemed to know their stuff. We do not intend to show her to any high degree only locally so what would you recommend.

I also feel that we are concerned that she does not to have a bad experience, can you recommend some questions I should ask to ensure we choose the right groomers. After that we have just got to put our faith in them and let them get on with it.

Many Thanks for any advice Charlie.                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 10:19:59 PM »
Hi Charlie

I would say that your Cocker's coat probably isn't ready to come out yet  ;D  ;D   This is why the Groomers are saying that they would use a stripping knife.  My Blue Roan pup's coat wasn't ready to come out until he was nearly 8 1/2 months old.  Maybe just get them to tidy up her feet and tail and the inside of her ears.

If you intend to Show even at Open Shows you really want the handstripped look  :)

If you let us know where you are maybe one of the other members could recommend another more experienced Cocker Groomer for you to take your pup to.

HTH

Dessie                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 11:37:45 PM »
I agree with Dessie. Even if you only want to show at a few local shows, then you'd be best off waiting until your pup's coat is ready to come out by handstripping alone. It would be better if you could find a Cocker breeder who offers a trimming service rather than use a groomer who may well be very experienced at pet trimming but has no experience of what a show Cocker should look like. There's no rush - ask one of these groomers just to tidy feet, ears etc up (as Dessie suggests) then wait a bit longer to tackle the rest :)                    
Jane

Offline charlie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2003, 12:25:51 PM »
Thanks

Your advice is very welcome. I live in South Northants if any one knows of a groomer near me. Just as a note one lady told me I had left it a bit late, thats not the case then.

Thanks Charlie                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2003, 01:22:57 PM »
Just for future reference, how often do their coats need handstripping?                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 02:23:54 PM »
Thanks

Your advice is very welcome. I live in South Northants if any one knows of a groomer near me. Just as a note one lady told me I had left it a bit late, thats not the case then.

Thanks Charlie

No you certainly haven't left it too late Charlie :) I'm still getting puppy coat out of our Ruby & she is 11 months old - I was only able to start getting any out when she was 8 or 9 months old. It all depends on the type of coat though - thick coats take much longer to become "strippable" whereas finer coats will come out sooner. I'll see if I can find a breeder/groomer in your area & get back to you.

Jane                    
Jane