Author Topic: At the of my tether  (Read 857 times)

Offline willows mum

At the of my tether
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
 :huh: i was wondering if anyone could help i have a 21th old bitch who ive been shown how to handstrip about 3 times but in dribs and drabs ie head, roughly a bit of body,chest and a bit of feet. I go to ringcraft and have a 16 week old girl who i want to show at open level for a few years before getting a proper show pup from a good kennel, the problem is i want to show seriously (i've been well and truly hit by the showing bug)but there is no one to help me im so frustrated. How did you all learn how to handstrip for shows? any advise would be sooo greatly appreciated x

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: At the of my tether
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:58:24 PM »
Hi

We have only been showing for about 4 years (if that even) I basically taught myself how to handstrip and trim. I did get help once by a lovely fellow exhibitor who let me take my first show boy up and she showed me how to strip the coat out and which areas needed trimming and which stripping. Other than that it was trial and error for me I am afraid (and my poor boy Alfie suffered my inexperienced stripping techniques)  :005:

I never forget breaking down into tears over my dog on the grooming table as I didn't have a clue  ph34r

It is amazing how quickly you do learn though, if you take a look at my dogs you can see i got the hang of it quite quickly.  :D

Where are you located?

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:37:44 PM »
I have only been showing a year and had some fantastic help and support from my girls breeder. I groom my show girl myself I have looked at many photo's and looked carefully how dogs are prepared at shows as this is often many different ways.

Have you been to any breed shows ? These are a fab way of picking up the desired look ...then its trial and error...I have cried many times and I am still learning as each show I go too I think there is something else I need to work on.

A comb with an elastic band is great  :blink: Where are you ?

Jo

Offline willows mum

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »
Thanks ladies, louis mum i have been on your website many times and both Alfie and Louis are groomed beautifully (i cant believe you taught yourself).Brackens mum i've never used comb and elastic band, i use finger cots but have heard people say about it, is it good? I got Jacky Marris -Bray dvd last week for my birthday(sad arent i lol) its so confusing, i was shown to handstrip legs but she thinned them out, also ive never been shown how to strip around backend, on dvd she says thin out around tail area. I do go to a few champ shows and am a member of London Cocker, i live 2 mins from the sea in East Sussex, i know i couldn't live any further South if i tried, which doesnt help getting to shows,( believe you me i will make the effort when im showing). Its just so frustrating as showing is the first thing i've been interested in years, i love it,it also doesnt help that im impatient lol, im just sooo eager to learn(im also a bit of a perfectionist).So really what you're both saying is give it a go, cry at my mistakes lol,wait a while then give it another go. omg my poor girl x thanks ladies

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
I use thinning scissors on legs but hand strip head and all the body its very time consuming but I love it. I do use finger cots but tend to go through so many  :huh: Its really a combination of stripping , comb and band and thinning scissors. The secret is keep the skin tight so its comfortable for the dog. My Lace will often sleep whilst I strip her  :luv:

When is your next show ? You must come along and say Hi  :luv:

Jo

Offline willows mum

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
Thanks jo , i've got most of the grooming kit but only a spratts 73 comb am guessing i need a 76 aswell from what everyone says, i would love to come and say hi if thats ok and maybe ask a few questions. I did talk to you once at london cocker open, july last year and you were very kind (by the way congrats for vhc at crufts lace looked lovely). Ive looked in starprint book, im still trying to find out locations of shows but opens in my area are maidstone and ardingly, i dont know where you live so dont know what open shows you go to, also going to South Of England Agricultural on 7th May but next big show wont be till Southern Counties x