Author Topic: Dog who hates ANY grooming?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline abkb

• Donator
Dog who hates ANY grooming?
« on: May 04, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
Hi all,

Not sure whether this should go in grooming or behaviour and training.

Anyway, Molly is 9 months now and has always hated being brushed/combed.  From the very first day we have tried to groom her little and often, but she always wriggled, tried to eat the brush etc etc.  We have tried praising her when she sits sitting quietly while we brushed, giving her treats to keep her happy, and also taking a more stern approach and making her stand on the table whilst we get on with it. 

However, no matter what we do she hates it.  It came to a head last night when she was lying on me.  I was stroking her and all I could feel were matts on her chest/armpits and also her tummy.  I tried teasing them out at first (she jumped up and was well onto the fact that I was no longer just stroking her).  I then got the comb out and the brush out but she just went for them.  She then snapped at me so I stopped, so I still have a matted doggy.

Any advice?  She is going to her breeder in July to be handstripped etc so I can't leave her like this until then.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that Molly has been groomed by bluegirl (thanks Karen!) and she was fine!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline emma_and_tilly

Re: Dog who hates ANY grooming?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »
I'll be watching this with interest, Tilly hates even being brushed and she'll wet herself :( xx

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »
Charlie hates me grooming him. I have tried praising good behavior and giving treats, and being a bit stern with him and he still hates it.  He grrrs most of the time and bites the brush, luckily never me!!
However he goes to the groomer every 6 - 8 weeks and she says he is as good as gold, no grrring, nothing.
They are crafty little bxxxers, I think he knows just how far he can push me, but the groomer is an unknown and he is wary.

Apart from advising to keep trying, little and often. Do you have friend who is comfortable around dogs, who might come in and have a go while you are not in the room.
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
Try standing her on a table or better still the ironing board ;)
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline karen488

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
What about getting all the nasty mats clipped put and a v short cut and then building up with a soft brush? Think it's a vicious circle they know where the mats are and dread you going anywhere near  :-\

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »
Coda is now almost 2 and STILL can't stand being groomed so I can totally sympathise with you  :005:

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice other than the ironing board trick but I will be watching this thread closely and wish you luck  ;)

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
Totally sympathise, Charlie hates being brushed, if I say the word brush he gives me a horrified look and tries to slink away.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
Try really serious treats while very gently brushing. I used Primula cheese. Start very slowly, just for a couple of minutes, but always do it in the same place and use the same routine. That way the dog knows what to expect. Be lavish in praise etc.

I have to say I started getting Penny used to brushing right from the start. I put her on top of her cage (on an old rubber car mat) and used lots of smooching as well as the Primula. Now, she loves being brushed and combed and will lift each paw to be trimmed or combed and goes into a kind of ecstatic trance when I do her ears!  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »
Squeezy cheese has definitely worked for us. Dog on grooming table (or ironing board) - we have one of these http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/2597/adjustable-ringside-table with a double noose to keep the dog upright  http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1328/no-sit-holder - I groom, OH squeezes cheese.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »
Oh dear, tried everything and failed, apart from ears, which he loves. He stopped trusting me when the brush or scissors came out, so became a bit of an issue.
I now happily drop him off at the groomers every eight weeks, and get a happy, shiny new dog back every time.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline ali2010

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »
Primula squeezy cheese has also worked for us. Its not so bad for our cocker as we rehomed him at the age of 6 and he'd been castrated and his fur now grows curly and outwards, he looks like a sheep so we now have him clipped short with slightly longer feathering on his legs and ears - so we only need to comb his ears. Would love to grow his fur nice and long like some of the cockers I see photos of on here but its just not going to happen!

Offline Clare B

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 09:50:26 AM »
Flo hates being groomed by me.  As soon as I go to the cupboard where the brushes and combs are kept she trots with her tail between her legs to the stairs going up out of the kitchen.  And while I'm grooming her she licks if I've found a matting, as if to say careful now.  She used to bite the brush but has recently stopped.  However when she goes to the groomer they say she is good as gold  :huh:

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
Selby is the same, I take him to the groomers and she says he is as good as gold no problem at all, if I try he snaps and warns me not to touch >:D when things have got really bad I put him on the ironing board with his muzzle on, and to be honest I think he prefers me to put the muzzle on, I don't know if it makes him feel safe or if he knows he can't bite me with that on and that makes him feel better.

Offline ali2010

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »
Our groomer says the same thing, Albert is as good as gold with her :005:

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »
Thanks all, glad it's not just us!

Try really serious treats while very gently brushing. I used Primula cheese. Start very slowly, just for a couple of minutes, but always do it in the same place and use the same routine. That way the dog knows what to expect. Be lavish in praise etc.

I have to say I started getting Penny used to brushing right from the start. I put her on top of her cage (on an old rubber car mat) and used lots of smooching as well as the Primula. Now, she loves being brushed and combed and will lift each paw to be trimmed or combed and goes into a kind of ecstatic trance when I do her ears!  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Oh yes, it's serious treats always (although we've also tried lower value treats).  Primula cheese is a regular, as is arden grange liver spread, pilchard cake, sausage etc etc.  We always start gently brushing/doing it slowly for a couple of minutes, lots of praise etc etc but she just hates it.

We started brushing her from the very first day she came home at 9 weeks.  I guess some dogs just don't like it!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013