Author Topic: Coat King?  (Read 4649 times)

Offline suzanne

• Site Member
Coat King?
« on: March 30, 2005, 04:15:04 PM »
hi, hope i don't sound like an idiot but what is this coat king you all keep talking about and where do you get it

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 04:52:43 PM »
Hi Suzanne

Best thing is to do a search on here for coat king, you'll find lots of threads about it, it's for stripping the coat on the back (and top of tail, I gather) but not the throat!

I don't need one yet as Buddy is too young, but may try one as he gets older, we'll see how his coat develops as his mother doesn't need much work at all on her coat.

If I knew how to put in a link from here I would.....nuff said :P

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 04:58:20 PM »
You can buy a coat king from Diamond Edge - there is a thread called 'grooming equipment' pinned at the top of this section of the forum and you will find some useful links there  :)
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Coat King?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:02:53 PM »
You will find a picture of a coatking HERE

Offline nells-mom

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 10:42:26 AM »
Quote from: Gilly,Mar 30 2005, 06:02 PM
[snapback]111972[/snapback]
[/quote

please can someone tell me what size coat king i buy i have two cockers one tri and an orange roan. thanks

Offline suzanne

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 10:44:17 AM »
Quote from: nells-mom,Apr 4 2005, 09:42 AM
Quote from: Gilly,Mar 30 2005, 06:02 PM
[/quote

please can someone tell me what size coat king i buy i have two cockers one tri and an orange roan. thanks
[snapback]113515[/snapback]
hi i've looked in tread at top and it says 20/26 how old are your 2 you want to do?

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Coat King?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 10:56:02 AM »
I think either would be OK, it's personal choice  ;) I use a 20 but I know alot of people use a 26 as well  :)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Coat King?
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 11:34:23 AM »

26 blade one here. :D

Does anyone know if there is any noticable difference in the finish you get between  a 20 and 26 blade Coat King, or is it much the same ? For some reason I thought that the finer the coat, the more blades you would use - I don't know where I got that from though. :D

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Coat King?
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »
Not sure Colin, I think you get more out with a 20 rather than a 26 but maybe don't get quite as smooth a finish?
I've only had mine a couple of weeks mainly to use on the top of the neck area as I just couldn't hand strip it, Buttons coat is all guard hairs there and it was painstaking and as I'm not showing her I gave in ;)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 12:23:34 PM »
I've got the 26 blade one  :)   Is there anyone who's tried both, as I'd also be interested to find out how much difference there is?  ;)
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Coat King?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 12:46:43 PM »
26 blade one here. :D

Does anyone know if there is any noticable difference in the finish you get between  a 20 and 26 blade Coat King, or is it much the same ? For some reason I thought that the finer the coat, the more blades you would use - I don't know where I got that from though. :D
[snapback]113525[/snapback]
I've got the 20 blade - the guy who sold it to me said the 26 blade would strip out far too much coat.  I told him that everyone had recommended the 26 blade and he said he has 20 years experience and the 26 blade would be too harsh, so I took his advice  <_<
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Coat King?
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »
Not sure Colin, I think you get more out with a 20 rather than a 26 but maybe don't get quite as smooth a finish?
[snapback]113539[/snapback]
I think it's the other way round, the more blades there are the more coat comes out - but not sure  <_<
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Coat King?
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 02:21:43 PM »
I have both the 20 & 26 Coat Kings & tend to use the 20 more than the 26, depending on the type of coat really. I haven't found the 26 takes out too much coat - it just doesn't work very well on a lot of the pet Cockers I trim.

Jane
Jane

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 02:30:41 PM »

Wow, that looks like an instrument of torture! Can you use this for first time grooming. All the groomers I've been in touch with don't hand strip. The all use clippers so I was wondering about having a go myself. Of course that's months off!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Coat King?
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 03:07:03 PM »
Karen, a coat king is really easy to use and it doesnt hurt them at all. Alfie hates being brushed and combed but sits there quite happily when Im using the coat king on him.

Its best to use it on a well brushed out coat so theres no tangles for it to snag against. Then you just use little bushing motions in the direction of the coat growth. You will feel it resisting - thats the indication theres coat there to come out. Just work on a little area at a time and once it glides through effortlessly its time to move on to the next area. You will get tons out - quite frightening at first.

I use the coat king on the head, ears, back sides and legs. I do sometimes very gently use it on the chest. Its not recommended to use it on this area but I go very carefully and gently. There is also a story going around where someone supposedly cut their dogs neck to ribbons using it there, but to be honest I cant see how it happened as the angle of the blades dont allow it.

Anyway start of gently and you will soon get a feel for it. I started to use mine on Alfie at 7 months and only small areas of his coat were ready to "give". At ten months his legs are just about ready to strip
Caroline and Alfie