Author Topic: Coat King?  (Read 4651 times)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 03:36:23 PM »
Thanks Caroline. Just a bit of a wimp about groming like that. I have a very long haired cat and many scars to prove he hates being groomed no matter how gentle I am!  :(  I have  to say is impeccabley behaved the rest of the time  :) It will be a while before I need to decide what I am going to do regads trimming Ruby.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Coat King?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 04:21:03 PM »
I have both the 20 & 26 Coat Kings & tend to use the 20 more than the 26, depending on the type of coat really. I haven't found the 26 takes out too much coat - it just doesn't work very well on a lot of the pet Cockers I trim.

Jane
[snapback]113577[/snapback]

Out of interest Jane, which type of coat do you find the 26 blade isn't quite as suitable for ? Although I've always been more than happy with the 26 blade ( never noticing any "harshness" at all  :huh:  ) do you think a 20 blade one would cope better with Jimmy's coat now that he's been neutered ? He does seem to get these blonde tufty bits sticking out in places now just a few days after I've used the Coat King on him. I'm finding I have to run it over him once a week these days.

Another question :D - although I can't handstrip Jimmy's back anymore the topknot still pulls out quite easily like bits of candy floss, it's almost 12 months since neutering so do you think it will stay this way ? Is it likely that the coat changes have taken full effect by now, or could things deteriorate even more ? :(  

Also - what are "guard" hairs, Gilly ?  :D

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Coat King?
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »
Guard hairs are slightly more wirey than the undercoat, some have more than others I think it depends on the breeding lines, Buttons has got loads  :unsure: usually around the shoulder area.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Coat King?
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 07:13:20 PM »
Thanks Caroline. Just a bit of a wimp about groming like that. I have a very long haired cat and many scars to prove he hates being groomed no matter how gentle I am!  :(  I have  to say is impeccabley behaved the rest of the time  :) It will be a while before I need to decide what I am going to do regads trimming Ruby.
[snapback]113626[/snapback]

I know what you mean with the scars - I have plenty from Alfie :)

Even though you have a while to go before you think about stripping the coat, it really is a good idea to get Ruby used to being up on a table and brushing her from day one. I didnt perservere with Alfie and its been a struggle now hes older :( He still doesnt like being groomed but I put aside 20 mins a day every day now and hes slowly getting used to it although I still have a battle royal when doing his legs, feet and belly :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Coat King?
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
Guard hairs are slightly more wirey than the undercoat, some have more than others I think it depends on the breeding lines, Buttons has got loads  :unsure: usually around the shoulder area.
[snapback]113656[/snapback]

Thanks Gilly, I hadn't heard of them before - I think Misty has them around the neck too. Funnily enough I thought these wirey bits might have been caused by using the Coat King so I'd tried in vain to handstrip that area - they don't seem to budge though, well not without Misty screeching like I'm murdering her. :rolleyes:  :D  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Coat King?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 11:29:24 PM »
Just out of interest Jane, which type of coat do you find the 26 blade isn't quite as suitable for ? Although I've always been more than happy with the 26 blade ( never noticing any "harshness" at all  :huh:  ) do you think a 20 blade one would cope better with Jimmy's coat now that he's been neutered ? He does seem to get these blonde tufty bits sticking out in places now just a few days after I've used the Coat King on him. I'm finding I have to run it over him once a week these days.
[snapback]113643[/snapback]
I'm finding the 20 blade works better on most of the pet Cockers I trim, probably because they are often quite hairy by the time I get them ie the coat is thicker & I've found the 26 bounces off a lot of the time without removing much hair. You might find the 20 works better on Jimmy's thick fluffier bits so it's worth a try :)
Another question :D - although I can't handstrip Jimmy's back anymore the topknot still pulls out quite easily like bits of candy floss, it's almost 12 months since neutering so do you think it will stay this way ? Is it likely that the coat changes have taken full effect by now, or could things deteriorate even more ? :(   
I'd think after 12 months the hormonal affects of neutering will most likely be finished now so I don't think Jimmy's coat will get any worse - you're lucky you can still strip his top knot though, one of the benefits of having such a fine, silky coat to start with ;)
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Coat King?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 11:39:27 PM »
Guard hairs are slightly more wirey than the undercoat, some have more than others I think it depends on the breeding lines, Buttons has got loads  :unsure: usually around the shoulder area.

Thanks Gilly, I hadn't heard of them before - I think Misty has them around the neck too. Funnily enough I thought these wirey bits might have been caused by using the Coat King so I'd tried in vain to handstrip that area - they don't seem to budge though, well not without Misty screeching like I'm murdering her. :rolleyes:  :D
[snapback]113853[/snapback]

I've given up on that area now  ;) I think it's in Butty's breeding and it was really getting on my nerves although it's taken me 2 1/2 years to give in and get a coat king  :rolleyes:

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Coat King?
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 11:44:12 PM »

Thanks Jane, I think I'll order one and give it a go, see if it makes a difference.  :)  I really do hope the coat changes have reached their worst now - after previously not needing much trimming at all, I seem to be chipping away at Jimmy's coat all the time these days with little impact. :D  His feathering is a nightmare to deal with. :rolleyes:

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 10:37:22 AM »
  His feathering is a nightmare to deal with. :rolleyes:
[snapback]113876[/snapback]

This is the part of Jessie I have most problem with. I have got a size 20 coat king and this is great on her back and sides but leg and tummy feathering is a nightmare! Im going to get the video to see how to do it as I dont have a clue what Im meant to do with the thinners lol  ;)
Janey

edited to correct poor spelling

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »
I've had a problem with my coat king as well. I bought the 26 blade one, someone recommended it to me some time ago nd it worked great..until Toby was neutered. Within about 4 months of being neutered, his coat was becoming unmanageable. Now, it's a nightmare...it really is the most dense and fluffy coat I've ever tried to deal with. The 26 blade coat king won't get much out of it. Yesterday I ordered the 20 blade one from Diamond Edge and some new thinning scissors. I am getting to the stage where I am considering clipping him for the summer though. He hates being groomed with a passion. I took him to a groomer a few months ago, and she did trim his coat and used thinning scissors, but she said he was so upset by being groomed that she thought he should be "sheared". I didn't go back again, and have been trying to cope with his wayward coat myself since. I'm hoping the 20 blade coat king makes more of a difference. The worst problem though is his leg feathering...which I don't think you can use a coat king on can you? He hates me trying to use the scissors on his legs and wriggles around and mouths at me  :(

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 05:07:27 PM »

[snapback]113853[/snapback]

Inide has a few stray ones around her neck too, I have noticed when stripping her, almost impossible to budge :blink:   I don't possess a coat king though, but have used one, I knabbed Marias, they are not good in my hands, as I find it incredible therapeutic and get carried away :lol:

Offline nells-mom

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 09:28:23 PM »
Quote from: nells-mom,Apr 4 2005, 09:42 AM
Quote from: Gilly,Mar 30 2005, 06:02 PM
You will find a picture of a coatking HERE
[snapback]111972[/snapback]
[/quote

please can someone tell me what size coat king i buy i have two cockers one tri and an orange roan. thanks
[snapback]113515[/snapback]

hi one of em is two years old and the other is 4years old.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Coat King?
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 11:26:13 PM »
Personally I would try the 20 blade one  :)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Coat King?
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 06:19:03 PM »
I have both sizes but couldn't tell you which is which! I just put my hand in the grooming box and use whichever one I happen to pick up :rolleyes:

I have used it on a neutered golden and am currently using it on my black boy who is entire. I don't need to do it very often with him at all.  I'm not able to use it on Vegas as it seems to hurt him. He is very underweight to the point where his ribs and spine are starting to show :blink:  so I think that is probably the cause. If used properly I think it is a very useful tool for pet cockers
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Coat King?
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2005, 11:43:29 AM »
I have 2 (not sure how many blades but think one is the 26), I find the one with less blades easier to use, I didn't seem to get anywhere with the other one.  It could just be that I'm incompetent as the groomer never seems to have any trouble and I'm sure she uses the finer one!!!   :lol:  :lol:
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)