Author Topic: Undocked Tails....  (Read 846 times)

Offline Sass

• Site Member
Undocked Tails....
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:16:12 AM »
I'm hoping that some of you experienced groomers may be able to help!!! As you know I've been grooming Alfie myself for a while now :blink: . To give myself a bit more of a clue I got the by Jackie Marris Bray.
In the video she is grooming a docked Cocker but refers to how she would groom an undocked one. Am I right in thinking she means you would thin the upperside of the tail?? Along the length I mean! and then trim the underside in a gentle curve!! :rolleyes:
Up until now I have been cutting it on the underside in a gentle curve only, but it is now starting to 'part' and stick out on the top!!
I hope this makes sense!! :ph34r:
Sass and Alfie xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Undocked Tails....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 11:41:26 AM »
Yes with undocked tails, I thin out the hair on the top with my thinners then trim & shape the feathering underneath usually with ordinary straight-edged scissors. This looks much nicer than some of the shaven-all-over long tails I've seen ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Sass

• Site Member
Undocked Tails....
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:54:54 AM »
Thanks Jane, no wonder it's started to look so wild!!
The next question is, how wide should the thinned area be, and how short should you take the thinned hair? Sorry to be a pain :rolleyes:  Do you know where I could get hold of a picture of a thinned tail, maybe that would be easier!! :D
Sass and Alfie xx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Undocked Tails....
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 12:34:28 PM »
Hi Sass :)

Indie is undocked and I keep her tail feathered, I agree with Jane it looks much nicer B)

Trouble is when Indie has been in season she tends to lose her feathering on her tail :blink:

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Undocked Tails....
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 12:09:11 AM »
I agree, keep the feathering on the tail  :D   Without that feathering their tails look very odd as their fur curls around the tail until it becomes long enough to hang.
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx