Author Topic: Coat king and long wispy bits  (Read 750 times)

Offline tritonx

Coat king and long wispy bits
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:33:58 PM »
I've asked this question before, but thought maybe it would help if I posted pics. Fraser is a dark blue roan. When his hair is longish, he looks black except for a bit of frosting that shows on his back legs. He's neutered so hair in places like his legs is very curly and mostly wavy on his back. When I coat king his back, the white, coarser hair stick out all spiky from the black. The pure black spots look fluffy. Is he supposed to look like this or am I doing something wrong? I brush in the direction of the hair and what comes out is black fluff on the comb.

Shoulder area

Looking down his side toward the back.

Pure black fluffy bits.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Coat king and long wispy bits
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
No, you're not doing anything wrong, the texture of the black hairs is different from the white. Also, the coat king pulls out the undercoat, which is also of a different texture (more wooly, cottony)

If you're not showing you can use a thinning shear to blend the longer hair, or after you bathe him you can towel wrap him, that will help the coat lay flatter
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »
Will try the thinning shears. Mine are dull. Can that sort of scissor be sharpened? The pictures don't even show how wispy he is. In fact, I call him Mr. Wispy. As long as I'm not damaging his coat, that's the main thing. He's a companion dog and coat grooming is about keeping clean and unmatted and reasonably easy to maintain. I'll try the towel wrap. Thanks for responding.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »
Yes, thinning shears can be sharpened  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne