Author Topic: When to move from puppy food?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
When to move from puppy food?
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
Molly is 8 months old this weekend and Is coming to the end of her bag of Arden Grange Puppy/Junior food.  What age has everyone moved from puppy to adult food pls?
RIP Misty 09.04.90 - 26.03.05 & her daughter Jezzie 15.07.94 - 08.07.11 x

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
Re: When to move from puppy food?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »
We moved Jem at around 7 months, I took advice from the dog food manufacturer. Other people leave it longer. You'll need to do it gradually though :)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
Thanks RT, I think she's ready then. I'll start adding a bit of the adult food in with the puppy.

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »

The "experts" told me to move onto junior food after about a year :shades:

Mel.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 05:06:54 PM »
Thanks RT, I think she's ready then. I'll start adding a bit of the adult food in with the puppy.

How can you tell if she's 'ready' for adult food?

Ozzy is 10 1/2 months and he's still on Junior food - IMHO 7-8 months is too early to start feeding adult food as it doesn't have enough of the correct vitamins and minerals for growing strong, healthy bones, and at that age they are still growing.  I'm waiting until Ozzy is a year old before I put him on adult food.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »
Dennis is 3 weeks off his first birthday and I have just started mixing his Puppy food with Adult food.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
I change mine to adult food at around 6 months old and I've never used a 'junior' food. They've had their biggest upward growth spurts by then and I prefer the remainder to be at a steady rate and for them to stay as lean as possible. Adult food provides adequate nutrition without an excess of calcium, protein etc. I don't use Burns food but it's explained on their website here: http://burnspet.co.uk/myfaq/content/4/2/en/when-should-i-change-my-puppy-to-adult-food.html

Like a lot of these questions you'll get a different opinion pretty much everywhere you look though, there isn't really a right or wrong answer.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Millipede

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:09 PM »
Millie is on Arden Grange and they recommend feeding it until 1 year old. You cut quantities from around 7 months I think (too lazy to go and check back of packet sorry).

Offline HayleyJB

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »
According to the Arden Grange website "when a puppy has reached optimum skeletal height, ie as tall as they are going to get when they are an adult then they can be changed onto Adult food".

We are gradually adding adult food in with the Puppy/Junior (with Arden Grange this is just one food, they do not have separate ones).

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
We only recently changed Ozzy from RC Puppy/Junior food to JWB, and the Junior food was the correct one for his age and weight.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »
Chaz is nine months old now (How time flies  :luv:) and has just completed the move over from Orijen Puppy to the adult version. Milly went on to Orijen at just over a year old but that was due to her having problems with the adult version of JWB.

The whole logistics thing has become much easier now they're both on the same kibble  ;).