Author Topic: Quality of Dog Food test on Superscrimpers  (Read 2114 times)

Offline *DollyDaydream*

Quality of Dog Food test on Superscrimpers
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:29:02 PM »
Anybody else see the quality of dog food test on Superscrimpers last week? It compared them and the cheapest (Asda Smartprice dog food) came out as the best one! What brands do you all feed your cockers?

Offline Chillis

Re: Quality of Dog Food test on Superscrimpers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
it was so cringy!!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »
If Asda's Smartprice food came out as the best quality then I dread to think what they were comparing it to :-\ I've just Googled it and it contains 'Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives, Oils & Fats, Minerals, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin' so the main ingredient is unspecified cereals followed by an unspecified quantity of unspecified meat and derivatives so you've no idea what's actually in it. I would guess it's more derivatives than meat and even then not much of that, because again they don't specify, it could be 99% 'cereals' and 1% 'meat and derivatives'. I didn't see the programme so don't know on what basis they were comparing it or what to. Maybe compared to other very poor quality foods it might be the 'best' but it would be a very relative judgement

Regarding my lot Tilly is on Skinner's Field&Trial duck and rice kibble as she has inflammatory bowel disease and it's the only food she can tolerate. Rodaidh and Caoimhe are on half raw and half kibble - either Barking Heads salmon and potato or the same Skinner's as Tilly in the 'off' season and Skinner's working dog kibble in the working season.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »
Asda dog food doesn't get good ratings on www.whichdogfood.co.uk (to put it mildly!).

My two are on Eden, which gets 5 stars. I changed them from Burns after some research.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:08:20 PM »
Its here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/superscrimpers/4od#3496611 10.30 Mins in. Foods compared IAMS, ASDA SmartPrice and Bakers.

I've watched a few of these comparisons for other products on the same programme but I don't think they're ever a fair trial at all. In this case Asda came out on top because of its price. Bakers won the taste test (but naturally dogs will be drawn to it - its full of sugars, salts etc).

Mine are all on James Wellbeloved apart from Roxy who seems to get on better with Autaky. If I could get my head around raw feeding I'm sure it'd work out a lot better for them.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »
I used to like that programme but I stopped watching it when they suggested saving money on piano lessons for a child by giving him an app on a smartphone. I did watch this episode though just to see what they came up with. It pretty much confirmed my decision not to watch it again.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
I think the dry name of the programme 'Superscrimpers' suggests that they are going to be biased on anything, so long as its cheaper. I mean you can hardly call it Superscrimpers and they actually say ' this product is the dearest and it's the best'. You've got to remember this will be heavily edited.

It's much like Aldi, comparing its pickle to Branston, if people wanna believe it, ten fine. But most of the time if you pay for quality you get quality.

I'll stick to shopping in M&S rather than Aldi