Author Topic: Hyperactivity and food  (Read 3442 times)

Offline panda66

• Donator
Hyperactivity and food
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:50 PM »
Have been taking Lila to Adrian Slater and very happy with training, all reward based and the difference is amazing in only 3 sessions.
Discussing food, I said I fed kibble am and raw or NI in the evening and was told that it contained too much protein for a very hyper dog and that they would only feed that if they were trialling.
I would be interested to hear what anyone thinks about this  :huh:

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Hyperactivity and food
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »
Am no expert on feeding, and I don't feed NI, but I personally think that many dogs today are not fed appropriately for their activity levels. (am sure will be shot down for saying as much, but I don't think a pet dog needs to be fed a super-high protein diet). 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Chillis

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:05:04 AM »
if anything- raw has calmed my monkey massively!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
There is not necessarily any higher protein content in raw than there is in kibble.... depends what you feed in each case. 
Does your trainer think Lila's hiper then?
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
Which dry food do you use? Millie gets raw for meals and kibble for treats. During the summer I use a normal adult dry food (hypoallergenic though) and then skinners field and trial in the winter as although she doesn't have no where near as much exercise as a working  dog she struggles to keep her weight up in the cold.

I guess it's what works for you but I would be looking at the artificial food rather than the natural to what would cause hyperactivity.

Millie

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
There is not necessarily any higher protein content in raw than there is in kibble.... depends what you feed in each case. 
Does your trainer think Lila's hiper then?

She was the first time I took her, there were 40 dogs there and it was in a riding school so lots of smells. She was horrendous, couldn't do anything with her culminating with her getting free and running round all the dogs who were obediently doing stay until she got to Adrian's majestic German Shepherd who was sitting like a statue  and rolled on her back in front of him with her legs in the air  >:D oh the humiliation  ph34r

So, yes they think she is hyper.  I think she was just over stimulated, she is fine most of the time but is certainly very excitable.  They advised a Kumfi dogalter in which she behaves immaculately. 
She has 3 walks of 50 mins each a day.  I have been giving her 1/2 pack wainwrights tray am or 100g acana and 225gms raw or NI pm.  Don't know what to do now  :huh:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »
I agree with Sarah H. I think ingredients are more likely to affect behaviour rather than protein levels. Archie was hyper on turkey Wainwrights but much much better on the lamb variety.
You might find this interesting.
http://www.pendlepaws.com/apps/blog/entries/show/24954854-dog-nutrition-the-importance-of-protein-in-a-dog-s-diet

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
Would definitely look at the ingredients in your kibble to see if there's anything in there that would be making her a bit hiper - but from what you said I'd agree, could just be that environment that hype'd her up.  If she's fine the rest of the time I wouldn't worry about it.... 
If you want to look at her food compared to a few others http://whichdogfood.co.uk/  is a good site.
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 01:27:35 PM »
out of interest are there any other working cockers in the class and if so how do they act?  (I find that non-cocker trainers have little  concept of our pocket rockets  :lol2: :luv: )
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
out of interest are there any other working cockers in the class and if so how do they act?  (I find that non-cocker trainers have little  concept of our pocket rockets  :lol2: :luv: )

What I was thinking but didn't feel qualified to say  :shades:

Millie

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
It is Kipperidge gundogs so they will have pocket rockets for certain altho he did ask if she was a cocker or a sprocker which surprised me a bit  :D

Offline Sherlock

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
I've been told it's the quality of the protein that matters, rather than the quantity. Unless you're feeding a low quality food with unnatural additives, etc I doubt it matters really.  I haven't found any change in behaviour due to type of food - over time I've fed Sherlock Arden Grange, Fish 4 Dogs, NI, Wainwrights and raw and there's no noticeable difference in his energy levels.

Sherl's a working cocker with lots of FTCh in his family and is has very high excitement and energy levels - he just won't stop going until he drops. As an eg. a couple of weeks ago we took him to my in-laws' house after he'd had a very long walk, and he wouldn't stop running around the house until we took him home late in the evening - by then he was so tired that his eyes had rolled back in their sockets and I thought something had gone seriously wrong with him  :o We were going to take him to the vets when he fell asleep and we realised it was just extreme overtiredness. (Next time we go there I'll make sure he gets some time out on his own...)

I think it's just working cockers' natures to be high energy and diet isn't going to have much of an effect.